Don't Underestimate Dodge...

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta hand it to Dodge...

My wife and I looked at the '06 Ram 3500s after church today, and just to be fair also looked at the new Super Duties.

Quad cab vs extended cab.

I sat in the Ford and after sitting in the Dodge just could not believe how cheap the XLT's interior felt compared to the Ram SLT's...

To boot, I adjusted the front seats on both trucks to the postions I'd normally use when driving. When sitting in the back of the Ford's extended cab, I felt scrunched. In the Dodge I felt a little more room--DEFINITELY bigger seats in the quad cab.

The dash of the Ford is a joke. Looks like stuff that belongs on athletic gear or in a stadium. It *did* have a bigger glovebox than the Dodge, but there was much less storage space in the fold-down center seat back and no storage below it. The controls in the Dodge feel like they're much better quality-wise. Didn't take the 6.0 for a run... didn't even start it... but I couldn't live with the interior of the Ford so any advantage the 6.0 *might* have is lost. The sticker on the Ford was also higher than the Dodge. $43k for an F-250 4x4 with similar equipment to a $38k Ram 2500. Of course, the Ford salesman said he could offer me $3500 for my '91 F-350 and get me out the door for $1000 UNDER invoice.

HAHAHAHAHA. Whatever. This is the same dealership that told me 3% OVER invoice 5 months ago.

Anyway... Just thought I'd report my findings. I've been Ford through and through since I started driving trucks in 1995, but their quality seems to have really gone downhill and the interior ergonomics just aren't there. If new Chevy's are anything like my wife's 2000 Silverado on the inside, then I'd have to say Dodge *really* has a winning combination and is, relative to the Ford, an EXCELLENT value.

Mike

Last edited:

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Ford has the King Ranch package, but ugly XLT trim. Dodge has a really nice dash and lots of storage, but since I don't like the Mega Cab, all Dodge offers to me is a Quad Cab. And the front cupholder doesn't latch real good. GM has an ugly interior. I had an '04 Crew Cab half ton before my Dodge, and the seats were really comfortable, but there was no fun in the hard plastic dash and door panels.

Come next fall, if I can afford it, I'm going to take a good long look at a King Ranch. If I can't, then my second choice is a Laramie. I won't drive a GM again, for a variety of petty reasons. I am glad to see the suede seatbacks are gone. They seem like they'd be easy to get dirty and really hard to clean. Dodge does put together a surprisingly nice interior, beat only in my opinion by a King Ranch.

This is coming from a kid raised on Fords, though, and I only bought a Dodge by accident, so understand that I'm a little biased.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya... Seems like Ford is banking on folks wanting to spend the extra dough on a crewcab, so they make their extended cabs tiny. A shame.

I sat in a mega cab Ram today and was amazed... bigger than my '91 Ford's crewcab. Too big, really. Would be happy if it were smaller inside and had a long bed. I'm guessing that they'll come out with a TRUE crewcab Ram 3500 after I buy my '06... but the kids (stepdaughter and my son) are still small and if they get their mother's genetics won't have long legs like their daddies.

Ford better get with the program... I'd prefer to buy a Ford but they've just let things go downhill IMHO.

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I've always thought Ford interiors were kind of flimsy and garbagy looking, but that's just me. GM has gone downhill, I think. And I've always held such a bad opinion of Dodge that I'm very impressed by my truck. I never doubted the motor, but the truck Dodge wraps it in always seemed questionable to me. If I didn't want a crew cab, Dodge is what I'd go with.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to wonder with all the bad press Dodge has received--and all the bad customer opinions in the past--if Dodge hasn't finally done things right.

A great truck at a price that shouts, "BUY ME"...

Of course, the Dodge dealer wasn't willing to go $1000 below invoice... but I think I've taken care of that by finding one who will...

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
My wife had a '03 Silverado 1500 that I called her "Little Girly Truck" because it seemed so cute and dainty. Very cushy to drive, it felt more like a car. What I disliked most (after accepting that it was more of a car than a truck) was that the seats wrapped around my back (like a car) and pressed hard against my favorite carry spot for my .45. Even in the HD GM pickups they seem a little too cushy for the intended purpose but I'd probably choose the Dmax over the 6.0 if my selection was based on powerplants.

I had an '00 SuperDuty that I liked a lot; never had a single problem with it, am presently driving an '03 Dodge SRW 3500. I traded the Ford because I had an itch for a new truck and switched from 2wd to 4x. I will say that I think that the Cummins is the superior engine in the Diesel pickup market but the trucks are purely subjective.

I have some nit-picking things that I like about the Ford (in no particular order):
The tow mirrors; I like the convex mirror at the bottom separate from the main mirror.
More pocket space in the door panel.
The ZF-6 shifts nicer than the NV5600
The cruise buttons on the stering wheel illuminate with the dash lights.
I remember the seat being more comfortable (not that I'm getting older!)
The front doors are full sized.
The heater was hotter and worked sooner.
Sound system was better (both were the meduim grade); better radio reception and sound quality with cds.
Lockable tailgate.
Manual front hubs are avaliable.

Dodge has an edge:
Cab is more spacious (adults can sit comfortabley in the back seat).
A/C can be selected manually (Ford commands it when the "Blend" position is selected).
Rear cargo floor is totally cool!
Lots of interior sotrage compartments.

That is what comes to mind right away. As I said these are purely subjective and the engines come down to a matter of preference. I don't think you'd go too far wrong with any of them.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
things i love about dodge
ITS A DODGE!!!!
CUMMINS!!!!!!!
the interiors materials keep getting better every year
solid axles...which means its still a truck!!!!
huge interior room...without feeling like your gonna fall out of the window..i.e. fords!
big tough parts
things i like/dislike about the ford
6.0 sounds sooooo nice with a straight pipe, nothing like sounding like your launching a missle during takeoff!
dislike..v8 diesels
windows are way too big and doors are poorly designed in my opinion, i dont like feeling like i'm gonna fall out of the window when i go around a turn
crappy box truck looking appearance..my 82 suburban is as aerodynamic as the new pooper duties.
the list goes on and on...the interiors are cheaply built, ****, theyre still using the same power window switches they used in the early 90's...i mean c'mon...how long can they overlook the simple things.

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Now, when out of curiosity I go to ford.ca to price out a King Ranch, what do I find? That the Harley Davidson package is back, that's what. Assuming I can afford it, this decision is getting easier and easier. And it's not coming out favorably for Dodge. Seriously Dodge and GM, put together these specialty packages for fancy, important people such as myself. :D

Edit: Now, when I go back there, I can't make it happen again. There is no H-D option available. I think the first time, the Amarillo package wasn't available. I don't get it.

Last edited: