does too much ATF really hurt anything?

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
1994 E-350 w/7.3 and E40D

The guy at the auto parts store (Carl my transmission pal didn't return my call yet) looked it up and told me that my transmission would require at least a case of ATF after draining the pan.

A little skeptical; I added eight quarts and thought to check the level. Even cold it is over the HOT mark on the stick.

Will this too-high level cause any important damage to the transmission? Or will it just blow out a vent or overflow or something?

While I had the pan off the transmission I added a drain plug - so if it's critical I can drain some. Although I would really rather not. <g>

PHM
------

tknomaj

Reaction score
If fluid level is high enough to hit drums . the fluid will foam or aireate and will ruin your transmission. the high level should only be meet when fluid is hot.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone has posted.. This is one place where a little too much will hurt the trans....

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i kind of have the same situation. when i check tranny fluid when cold it shows at the top of hot mark on dipstick. then when i check it after it is warmed up it is still at the top of the hot mark.:dunno

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

The evil darkness snuck up on me while I was drinking a beer so tomorrow when it gets light out I'll pull the plug and drain some ATF out.

Damn good thing I added the drain, huh?
<g>

I did idle the truck back 50' so I could power wash off the concrete and then pulled it the same distance back in later. Hope nothing bad happened yet. <g>

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let the trans get up to 180 degrees, then check it.

2WD trucks hold 6 quarts in the pan, and the 4WD trucks hold 7. The other 11/12 quarts are in the converter and trans itself, 75% of the fluid in in the converter.

Last edited:

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
you mean just let it sit and idle ?

Sit and idle until 180º?

Or do you mean drive it around until it's 180º?

I ask because I thought people were saying not to drive it for fear of the high fluid level causing damage.

PHM
-------

Let the trans get up to 180 degrees, then check it.

2WD trucks hold 6 quarts in the pan, and the 4WD trucks hold 7. The other 11/12 quarts are in the converter and trans itself, 75% of the fluid in in the converter.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going by what one of the other posts said about 6 quarts, you put 8 in so drain a half gallon out. Then drive it to 180 degrees and check again. Just make sure the truck is running when checking the fluid and it is level and not facing down hill or uphill.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sit and idle until 180º?

Or do you mean drive it around until it's 180º?

I ask because I thought people were saying not to drive it for fear of the high fluid level causing damage.

PHM
-------

Idling would take forever to get up to temp.

Oh I just noticed it's a E series, so it's probably 2WD. Like Doc said, I'd take 2 quarts out (or as he said, half a gallon). Drive it around, get it up to temp then top off if needed.

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
Compu Doc -

Do you really drive an ambulance? I ask because my 1994 E-350 is an ambulance package, albeit; a small and narrow one.

It was a SWAT truck before I got it. All black. The gun racks and all the communications and jamming gear is gone, but it has all the external light bars and so forth. Although I am thinking about pulling the light bars off.

I bought the SWAT truck because Ford quoted me $90K for a diesel chassis with an aluminum utility body. <g>

PHM
-----

1991 Ford E350 type III ambulance manufactured by PL Custom

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really drive an ambulance? I ask because my 1994 E-350 is an ambulance package, albeit; a small and narrow one.

It was a SWAT truck before I got it. All black. The gun racks and all the communications and jamming gear is gone, but it has all the external light bars and so forth. Although I am thinking about pulling the light bars off.

I bought the SWAT truck because Ford quoted me $90K for a diesel chassis with an aluminum utility body. <g>

PHM
-----

Yes it is an ambulance. The only things taken out before I bought it were the radios. Everything else was left intact and operable as it is today.

I have made a few grand entrances at different events LOL

As for you pulling light bars off I would not advise you did that. As long as the lenses are blacked out your good to go. If you have amber lenses or get amber lenses and have the need for the lights you can use them legally provided you have a license from the state of NJ.

The reason why I would not pull the light bar off is because you will have holes that will need to be filled and some wiring that needs to be removed even if they are not functioning.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The evil darkness snuck up on me while I was drinking a beer so tomorrow when it gets light out I'll pull the plug and drain some ATF out.

Damn good thing I added the drain, huh?
<g>

I did idle the truck back 50' so I could power wash off the concrete and then pulled it the same distance back in later. Hope nothing bad happened yet. <g>

Just disconnect the transmission line hose that goes into the radiator cooler and put the hose in a bucket. Run the engine at idle and the transmission will slowly put the oil into the bucket (1 gallon clear water jug etc). No need to crawl under the truck at the tranny.

HTH