Does nobody make a good transmission mount anymore?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
What is up with trans mounts these days? Mine is basically gone and looking at what's available locally it's crap Anchor with hardly any rubber and thin steel not even continuous. Looks like junk to me:

You must be registered for see images attach

Nobody local has one in stock so I check online and same cheesy mounts, can't find a normal trans mount... Solid steel on both trans and crossmember side with a captive ring and entirely filled with rubber is what I'm used to. Ford doesn't list anything anymore that I was able to find.

I do have an F6TA-8D091-DB GREEN mount that is used but in good condition and appears to be good quality. It has metric threads (12mm x ~14tpi) but otherwise looks like a normal mount.

Not sure if there is any difference in height or dimensions aside from that but I have no metric nuts to use so can't install it tonight. Thinking maybe I should get some metric nuts and washers, as much as it pains me, and use this instead of the crappy $10 Anchor mounts... I've been down that road with cheap junk parts with a lifetime warranty. It sucks. They fails several times a year and either the parts store only replaces it once or eventually says it's not a defect it just wore out (in 3 mos?) and refuses to replace anymore. If there's one thing I've learned it's that warranties are useless. What say you guys, know of a source for quality trans mounts?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alas....I agree.
Perhaps recasting an orignal unit?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks. I have Prothane body mounts and they seem fine. Interesting they say "Where applicable, mounts feature internal ''run safe'' interlocking engineering or specially designed mechanical interlocking steel inserts." but they don't explicitly say this is or is not a captive mount. Doesn't look like it in an obvious way but could be. I may ask them directly.

I am a stickler for captive mounts and quality mounts in general. Having been through half a dozen motor mounts on 460 truck I finally put a solid mount of drivers side and no more failures. When one goes if it's not captive you break them all and sometimes transmission cases too. I believe Anchor and other low quality mounts have killed a few of the ZFs I used to replace annually.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Alas....I agree.
Perhaps recasting an orignal unit?

I was thinking the same thing. Pretty sad when for such a simple common mount you need to save your cores. I wonder if Dearborn/DennisCapenter/etc. make mounts that would work. These look pretty much the same as any 60s car mount and the trans should be same bolt spacing. Oblonging or redrilling the crossmember holes should be easy enough.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Not sure if this will be useful for anyone but I have the info so why not document it...

Picked up the new $10 POS mount (Anchor 2448, made in Korea) and it's 3/4" shorter than the Ford mount I have pictured above. Stud spacing on the Ford mount is 2-5/16" and on the Anchor replacement mount is 2-3/4". Application is an '86 F-350 4x4 with C6. Not sure what application the Ford mount is for other than a newer truck ('94-'97?) but not sure what trans or engine. Guessing the mount is shorter for a reason, driveline angle and/or firewall clearance. Trans side holes are same c/c and location of trans holes to crossmember studs puts trans/crossmember in same location with either mount. Only difference is height and c/c on the studs.

Same mount pn listed for 4 speed. Interesting for an '86 460 Rockauto lists both the Anchor 2448 and an Anchor 2970 with 4x4 noted, no mentioned of 2wd or 4wd for the 2448. Ford Ford mount on my shelf was in a box on my shelf labeled Anchor 2970 and I wrote good used on it. I'm guessing this mount came on one of the ZF5s I got either for a 351w or 460 and I got another mount for it since the stud spacing was wrong for an '86 crossmember (in 460 truck, which was originally a 351w/C6 then got a ZF5 then got a real engine) and threads were metric.

Anchor 2970:

Prothane does not list this application but I'd be curious to measure the height and I'd assume the bolt spacing is 2-3/4" like the earlier mounts since they list applications for 60s vehicles. This mount is captive, cutaway pic on their site. Not the way I'm used to seeing but don't see why it wouldn't work should the mount separate or crumble.

You must be registered for see images

Raining all day and the truck doesn't fit in the garage so I'll change it tomorrow if we get a break. I'll compare height to what comes out. It looks short, but the rubber is all crumbled away. I'll ballpark what I think it was originally. Shorter is probably better regardless for exhaust clearance on the turbo to cab.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I would be interested in poly mounts for the IDI. Could take a 3/8" thick angle amd make a mount that uses four 2" or so round poly bushings. Drill holes for the trans mount holes, one on each end of the angle iron, and 2 matching those in the crossmember. Bushing above and below the angle with large OD washers and grade 8 bolts. Planned on doing that with Bruiser one day and may end up doing it on the Enterprise when the trans mount finally needs replaced.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Replaced the mount earlier, didn't take long but got muddy. :mad: Appears to sit a little higher with the new mount. Not sure there would even be enough room for the taller mount as it didn't take much jacking before something hit the cab. What came out is the same crappy Anchor mount that I put back in. Was probably changed out when PO swapped in the reman slushbox.

Interesting info, I have another Ford trans mount that has standard thread studs and the normal 2-3/4" spacing. Appears the same as the metric threaded mount I mentioned above. I didn't measure it but when holding it up to the other mount it appears maybe 1/8" shorter. It is attached to an IDI ZF5. No Ford PN stamped in it and looks slightly less robust than the metric Ford mount of similar height. That's all I know, but I like to post details of what I can for my own reference and for others.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Not sure if the mount was wet from water from removal or oil. If it is from oil that might be your problem. Oil will weaken and destroy the rubber over time making it fall apart.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Well, heck. Ordered an Anchor mount from RockAuto about a year and a half ago; bolt holes too close together to line up to holes on nose cone.

Then ordered genuine Ford from an online dealer, so all was well. Apparently discontinued since then.

Lucky me, for once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online