Does a 7.3 need a cross-over pipe?

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
1994 E-350 w/7.3 IDI (no turbo)

Does the exhaust system on a 7.3 diesel require a cross-over pipe? The same way a gas engine does?

Or are diesel vee-eight engines different in that regard?

stephen
-----------

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
I asked because I was just under the truck -

The transmission pan gasket has been leaking ever since my (apparently) goofy garage pals replaced it.

And also; I wanted to add a drain plug to the trans pan while I had it off. Tilting the pan to drain it is BS. <g>

While I was under there I noticed a soot stain right on the inner weld - where the wye pipe connects to the main pipe.

At first I thought to braze it but then I thought - what am I; an idiot? It's probably original and not worth the brass - I'll just replace the ******* and be done with it.

Then the image of fighting the wye pipes back on there came to me and I thought: how about a dual exhaust? Hell; I could use two mufflers and maybe the truck would be quieter.

But then I wondered about the need for a cross-over - and came in here to ask the smart guys what to do for the best. <g>

So the cheap&dirty dual exhaust idea is no good, eh?

PHM
------

every v series n/a engine benefits from a crossover pipe.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory y pipe is very restrictive at the merge, my exhaust guy hacks it off and blends in a 3 inch there and runs single 3 or 4 out the back, works nice.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A diesel is much differant from a gas engine so. Don't feel your not in the know. About all the diesel needs is free flowing exhaust. Our cylinder timing is way differant from any gasser engine. Running dueal exhaust will be the correct thing to do. The Y pipe was a cheap idea from ford and international. Nothing more.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
From the Flow3master web page

Do I need to install an "H" pipe in my dual exhaust system?

Flowmaster strongly recommends using a crossover tube, otherwise known as an "H" pipe or balance pipe on all true dual exhaust systems. The crossover pipe equalizes the exhaust pulses and allows the sounds waves to communicate between both banks of the engine. Not only does this usually improve torque in the low to mid rpm range, it also creates a deeper mellower tone both inside and outside of the vehicle and helps eliminate "back-rap" on deceleration.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I vote for the Y pipe, Hypermax, Banks, and ATS all have Y pipes that will increase performance...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.