dodge or gm? what to buy?

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a friend that has a duramax and i have good info on that truck,ie;mileage,power ect,but i dot know anyone w/ a cummins.what mileage empty and loaded w/ trailer at 8000 lbs? is there a compairison test i can look at?the dodges are really getting to be a good deal,any help,thank :confused: s,mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, both trucks will serve your needs just fine. I'm coming from a '91 F-350 and it got the job done... a little slower in the hills.

I was looking to replace my '91 this year, and looked at all makes. Didn't want to risk the 6.0h no from Ford, and I'm just not really into GM trucks... too squishy. I test drove the Ram and fell in love. Stiffer ride, just like my Ford, and the Cummins was a huge draw.

For me, the Allison of the GM wasn't a selling point--I've replaced 2 automatic transmissions in 2 vehicles in 2 years. The new Ram 3500 I've ordered will have a six speed manual transmission.

SO it came down to ride feel, engine, and overall impression. Dodge won the first and last. The engine is up to debate, perhaps, but I'm no fan of Isuzu (from which the Dmax design comes.)

Someone else can chime in on mileage and the availability of comparison tests.

Price and the quad cab sold me on the Ram. With the front seat back to my liking, I can sit comfortably in the back seat. Couldn't do that in the Ford or the Chevy, and a crewcab wasn't an option--been driving one for several years and they're bigger than we need. The Dodge folks were willing to deal--got the Ram for $34k, almost loaded, and that included a $2000 nav/stereo system.

Mike

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Buy a dodge...dont be a retard LOL jk...altho i bought a ford because i got a good deal on it, i should have gotten a dodge so i didnt have to go to the dealership alot with this 6.0....

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for loaded mileage, but my new Megacab is averaging a touch over 17, with 3300 miles on it. As long as you keep it at 70mph or below your mileage will be very good. Once I get over 70 with the low gearing of the G56 the mielage starts to take a hit pretty fast. But oh man, the power and quietness of the truck are excellent, inside the truck is really quiet and I can't expect any more outta a truck. Love it. Scotty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online