dodge dana 60

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the spring measurements for a coil sprung Dana 60 from a Dodge(center of coil to center of coil.

Was thinking about looking into to putting one into my 2wd CC.

Thanks

Billy

Last edited:

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
dont they have that stupid lock up system in the later ones? center lock? or what ever its called?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont they have that stupid lock up system in the later ones? center lock? or what ever its called?

Center axle disconnect...yeah, that's what they have.

I heard somewhere that somebody sells a kit to convert them to a regular manual hub type of setup, but I don't remember much about it.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Careful, those CAD axles are known to bend. You'r truck will look like its smiling,yet your tires will wear out and you'll be frowning! Haha

-Jon

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I've never heard of one bending. We beat on a 97 pretty bad and never bent the axles.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Upon further searching of the web, I came to the conclusion it's probably not in your best interest. A family member of mine in 1998 bought a new Dodge 2500 extra cab Cummins 4x4. He owned it til 2001. The one thing I do remember is he had tons of front end problems. Why I'm just now remembering that, I dunno. There's several bearing that are fail prone, and they don't have hubs as mentioned. Another thing is they're low pinion, which for all intents and purposes is less optimal than the ford high pinion. The dodges also have weaker axle tubes than the ford (I think that was already mentioned). If you go to any dodge site and type in Dana 60, just about every dodge guy's pipe dream is using a Ford Dana 60! So much for their brand loyalty LOL I just googled 'Dodge Dana 60 weaknesses" and came up with tons of hits that all said about the same thing

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Quote from GreatLakes4x4 regarding a Dodge D60:

"I would not buy it unless you are going to install it into a Ram to replace another of the same axle. The brake system is a known issue (calipers tend not to retract), the ABS sensors snap off really easily, the rotors are pressed onto the hubs (as opposed to slipping on over the hub/lugs), it has an odd spline count, the unit bearing assemblies are still expensive, and there is the potential for the CAD system to fail like in XJ's or YJ's."

"If you are going to spend money on a driver-drop front D60, buy what you really want the first time - a Ford HP. I will eventually replace mine with a Ford HP, but not until something catastrophic happens. I have been very happy with the performance of mine, but its not what I would buy if I was starting from scratch (unless it was really, really cheap). Sellers sometimes think they are made of gold, but they really only have significant value to someone that needs to replace an existing one."