Do vans and trucks have the same rear springs?

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
I Have an 86 3/4 ton van that I just made 4x4.WooHoo
The problem is that I've done alot of heavy work with the van and my rear springs are sagging. I currently have lift blocks and I'm looking for a quick cheap replacement for my springs.That is till I recover from this build enough to have my springs re-arched.
Anyhow, I'm just wondering if the truck springs are the same as the van springs? Having a bit of a hard time finding an appropriate van on Craigslist being parted out.
I'll post up some pics real soon.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they should bolt in if thats what you want to know they spring rate etc is different but same dimensions etc iirc
but id get a new set done at a spring shop its usually not too much

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
No. vans and trucks are rated differently trucks are rated for most all of the load to be carried over the rear axle and vans are rated for the load to be split evenly between the steer and drive axles. In most cases a 3/4 ton van will actually have teh equivilant of a half ton pickup axle and springs on the rear due to that load sharing but stronger springs on the front , but will generally have a stouter extra overload spring than a half ton and a 1 ton van will usually have a 3/4 ton axle and springs on teh rear and stronger springs on teh front.

This is because a van allows you to set a load right uo behind the driver which is right on teh wheels, while a pickup bed starts roughly 5 or so feet back and the bed is centered over teh rear axle

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
Well that sounds like pretty good news.
I think I will try to find some 3/4 ton truck springs to slap in for a little while and get me close to ride height.
The local spring guy wants $400 to re-arch my springs and I just need my rig back on the road. I'm in the middle of a big move and might need that money for other things right this minute. I'm holding off on my front driveline too. Thanks for the advice. Time to find some springs.