Do I need to worry?

duaneboggs

Reaction score
I'm letting my son borrow my truck this weekend, to go visit his girlfriend in Colorado, since his truck is out of commission.

I did the oil pressure gauge mod a few months ago and have noticed, like was said, that it would run on the low side if I did this. The guage has fluctuated and sometimes dropped down to just above the L, even when running at 2000+ rpm. Once or twice here in the last week or so the engine light has even come on when the guage would drop. No unusual noises or knocks from motor and it keeps running fine. Oil was down about a quart when this happened before and I just had it changed 2 days ago for this trip so now it is full.

I just got a call from him telling me that the guage and light have been fluctuating and coming on intermittently for nearly his whole trip today, so far he's covered about 400 miles. Checked oil and it is still full, no noises, normal temps. He did mention that when the engine drops to idle the guage will come up some and light will go off. I too had noticed this some. I do not have a manual guage in the truck so can't actually verify oil pressure. (it will next week)

My thoughts are the sending unit, which I bought new when I did the mod, is failing. However I'd like some other opinions just in case there is something else that could be checked. I can't go rescue him if it craps since he has the only running truck we have.

Thanks,

Duane

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Did you clean out the hole for the sending unit when you messed with/modded it? very often gunk gets built up there and causes problems when you disturb it. IIRC a member (dont ask me who cuz I dont know) tore up his turbo b/c he used a port and didnt clean out the hole and the sludge starved the turbo for oil. And your sender could be bad and or your wiring not grounded good or any number of things. Ford isnt known for their gauges. (ill bet that at least one of your fuel gauges doesnt work).

If you had no oil pressure for 400 miles you would probably have a seized engine and if the level is good you dont need to worry about it running critically low.

Go ahead and get yourself a quality mechanical gauge and test it out. My truck when warm idles at 20 psi and when moving 40-55psi. when cold it idles at 40psi.

duaneboggs

Reaction score
No I didn't clean out the hole, guess I should have. I wondered about possible electrical issues due to the fact that the first time I noticed it happen (light come on) was after it sat outside in a rain storm, but today it was dry for the first major part of his trip.

And actullay both of my fuel gauges work, and are accurate, but I think I'm just lucky...lol

Thanks for the reply, anyone else?

Duane

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Im actually having the same sort of problem on my truck, gauge stays toward the low side and when i put the clutch in it drops off completely and the light comes on, but like you said i check ed the oil level and all was well it is completely full.

I do have plans to install a mechanical oil gauge in there when the funds allow

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My gauge fluctuates. It will go from the "M" to the underside of the "O". I just wrote it off as junk stock gauges. I would figure a worn motor or pump would lose pressure at idle, not regain it. Possibly a grounding issue? Mechaincals are definitely in order. And, yes, my front tank does not read. I will fix that when flat bed dump goes on. Good luck, Duane.

duaneboggs

Reaction score
Here is an update:

He made it to his destination with no problems, said that once he cleared the rainstorm and things dried out it went back to acting like it should with no more light coming on.

Leads me to think that it is a ground issue, so when he gets home I will troubleshoot that as well as put in a mechanical guage.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Duane

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Ford factory dash gauge only is telling you the motor has at least 7 lbs of pressure when the lite goes out... Trying to "read" the letters NORMAL and determine what your actual oil pressure is never going to happen. I ran an Isspro mechanical oil pressure gauge for around 200,000 miles without any issues.... Then I changed all my then Isspro mechanical gauges to their electric gauges....:mad:-cuss Now the oil pressure gauge has failed 3 times. Also sometimes the coolant temp gauge needle wont read even on a warmed up motor. Never any reasons either. It just wont read. If I turn off the truck and restart it will read fine again..... I have tested all the wires for power and continuity and all is fine... I'm thinking its all in the funny little green box they have with every gauge... Time to find another manufacture for gauges....

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had decent luck with Autometer's Electric gauges. I run the V series because I don't like the chrome bezels on the others. I had an Oil Temp gauge crap out after 10 months, but they replaced it for free under the 12 mo. warranty. I sent just the gauge to them and they sent me back a complete kit, sender and all.