Do I need to replace my ignition lock cylinder?

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a 1990 F250 supercab with a 7.3 IDI and 5 speed manual. I'm trying to get it ready because I plan on selling it. One of the problems that I need to fix is that when you turn the key to start the truck it bottoms out without setting off the starter. Additionally in a properly working ignition lock there seems to be a spring that returns the ignition back to the run position after being held in the start position where the starter engages. Currently the ignition cylinder in this truck does not have any spring resistance. I just turn it until it bottoms out as if hitting a stop and that turns everything on and sets off the glow plugs but it doesn't engage the starter. At the moment I have a remote switch hooked up to the starter relay on the passenger side inner fender in order to get the truck started.

So know that I've explained the problem my question is does it sound as though I need a new ignition lock cylinder? or is there a broken spring in my ignition lock that I can just replace? ...as a side note though it does seem strange that if there is a broken spring or something like that then why wouldn't I still be able to engage the starter using the ignition.

Additionally if anybody has any information on what I have to disconnect/remove in order to at least gain access to the ignition lock cylinder in order to better diagnose this problem I would appreciate any knowledge that you could pass on.

Thanks
George

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
to get the ignition lock cylinder out just reguires a small screw driver and your keys. turn the ignition to the run position, take the small screwdriver and look right under the key switch. there will be a small hole in the column. while the key is in run position push in the small button in that little hole, then the ignition lock cylinder slides out. its only $12 at orielys. same thing happened to my 87 so i replaced the ignition switch and that fixed the problem.hope yours is that simple!

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
it is also possible that the ignition switch itself my have come out of adjustment. it sits on top of the column itself and has slots for adjustment. It might have slid down the column a hair and wont allow the rod to push it far enough. may be a possibility to look at.
cheers, Allan

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is also possible that the ignition switch itself my have come out of adjustment. it sits on top of the column itself and has slots for adjustment. It might have slid down the column a hair and wont allow the rod to push it far enough. may be a possibility to look at.
cheers, Allan

2X on that. It doesn't sound like a cylinder problem, just an adjustment of the switch down on the column.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
X3 on the switch down on the column. It has a spring in it that can fail. They cost about $10 at any parts store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online