DMF Noisy

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
So I swapped the T19 for a ZF5 recently, and though I should have probably rebuilt the DMF I didn't (time and money) and it's been getting noisier. Initially it had the trademark rattle on shutdown, but now it's making noise when shifting (least I think it's that, not internals)
My main question is are these flywheels subject to more abuse or breakdown with lower idle speed? Lower than the 650-700 they reccommend? If the flywheel is loose and worn out, will it cause damage to the trans in any way?

When I put it all together, I was able to rotate the outer portion of the flywheel, relative to the insides, back and forth maybe 3/4 of an inch or so.

Also, I'm wanting to avoid swapping in the SMF due to the rollover noise and those headaches, though deep down I know I should, for longevity of the clutch and less worries about the DMF.

Thanks.
Chris

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about tranny damage from a worn flywheel, but I *think* it would be alright. What you don't want is for that thing to fly apart at high speed...that would be very bad and damaging.

I was in your spot not long ago.. about the same amount of play. I bit the bullet and went with Valair. The rollover noise, while noticeable, it's not a big deal to me. It's less of a headache for me than the rattling DMWF was. I like it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ZF shouldn't suffer from it. The DMF on the other hand will get worse and worse until it starts to spit parts out. It shouldn't let you sit anywhere though. The lucky mod is the only cheap way out. A new or rebuilt DMF is usually serious coin.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out a company by the name of Rabco Midwest in Washington Mo. That's where I used to get my DMF rebuild parts, $30 would get all springs, bumpers and shipping.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking around with the local shops I know and my friends at the Ford dealer to try to find another one that needs rebuilt, then get the parts to rebuild it and put it in. If I have an issue with one more then I'll swap it out for the SMF and I guess suffer through the rollover noise. Like said, the rollover can't be as bad as a fouled up DMF :)

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get to that point I will tell you that putting the new springs in is a P.I.T.A.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I red somewher you can use a cummins 5.9 valve springs in the flywheel. Stiffer spring yet absorbes the shock unlike a SMF

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard about that, but as tough as the normal springs are to install I can't imagine trying to get stiffer ones in.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
So, Jack, do you have tricks for putting them in? Anything to make it a little easier?
Don't imagine a guy could use the door spring compressor tool for GM door springs could he? If you are familiar with those. I don't know how strong the DMF springs are...

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are pretty stiff once you start collapsing them. I couldn't find any spring compressor that would work, so I compressed them in a bench vice and used two pieces of mechanics wire (one on opposite sides) to hold them compressed until I dropped them in the flywheel then cut and pulled the wires out.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
why not put a smf on it from the t-19 with the zf5 clutch t-19 pressure plat and eliminate your dmf problem

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
So now it's nearing time for this project to go back together (motor started sucking coolant shortly after the ZF5 swap) so I want to junk the DMF setup...

Can I use my original SMF from the T19, and pressure plate, since they are near new, and put the right disc in? Will that combo work right?

Thanks.

Chris

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
go to the tech artichles and look around, im possitive there is onr in there about doing that, and it tells you to use smf, and a 7.3 flywheel with springs in it. just go to the tech article and get all the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online