disc brake question

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I just replaced the soft hoses on the front brakes and while I was there I noticed that the pads on the drivers side were worn much thinner than the pass side.
The rotor also looked like it had been getting hot. I was thinking that this was caused by the hose breaking down inside and holing pressure on it.
But it still seems like it is holding pressure on the rotor even now.
With the wheel off I can rotate the rotor by hand but it will only free spool about a quarter turn when released.
So is this too tight? Do I need another caliper?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the inner and outer pads on the driver's side being more worn than on the passenger's side? If so, I think it's time to replace the calipers (you really want to do both sides at the same time for safety's sake).

Also, what shape's the master cylinder? My last M-B needed a new master cylinder because it kept pressure in the line to the rear brakes to the point where the brakes would lock up. This was after replacing the calipers and the rubber hoses...

FWIW...

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I meant. I'm not sure about the master cylinder. I have never changed it, and I'm not sure whether it has ever been replaced or not. It doesn't give any symptoms of it being bad. But since it is only the driver side that was wearing prematurely I'm thinking it's the caliper. I would think if it were the master both the front brakes would be doing it.
I was hoping that it was the rubber hose causing it though.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it pull to the drivers side when you press the breaks at speed? If it does I would start by bleeding the brakes. If it doesn't pull to one side then get some caliper grease from auto parts store. this goes on the metal/rubber pin that holds it on and where the caliper meets the mount. When you press the breaks the caliper goes out an presses the inner pad to the disc. The caliper housing slides in the opposite direction from the piston in the caliper in order for the outer pad to apply pressure to the disk. The grease is to allow the caliper the slide the tiny fraction of and inch back away from the disk when you let off the pedal. Otherwise the brake can drag slightly the entire time you are driving without you knowing it. These are the cheap do first things if you don't see any problems.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
had the same issue with mine to the point where i could smell burnt pad and was smoking when i pulled in the driveway. The caliper has given up. You can go about this 2 ways.

1 Go to the parts store or someplace online like rockauto.com and get a caliper fresh and ready to go. They really arnt that much.

2 Buy the seals to rebuild the caliper yourself. They are cheaper than dirt for the seals but to be honest by the time you go get the seals,rebuild it and get it all back together i think its cheaper just to get the loaded caliper.

iv done it both ways. the first time i rebuilt the caliper with the seals and ended up having a bad piston. Ended up sticking and eating the pads again. went and bought a loaded caliper and now its been ;Sweet

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
No it doesn't pull when on the brakes, and they are greased.
The only thing I have noticed is that the driver front will lock sometimes in the rain. I had checked it before and it seemed normal. But when I pulled the wheel this time I noticed lots of brake dust so I started checking it out.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
had the same issue with mine to the point where i could smell burnt pad and was smoking when i pulled in the driveway. The caliper has given up. You can go about this 2 ways.

1 Go to the parts store or someplace online like rockauto.com and get a caliper fresh and ready to go. They really arnt that much.

2 Buy the seals to rebuild the caliper yourself. They are cheaper than dirt for the seals but to be honest by the time you go get the seals,rebuild it and get it all back together i think its cheaper just to get the loaded caliper.

iv done it both ways. the first time i rebuilt the caliper with the seals and ended up having a bad piston. Ended up sticking and eating the pads again. went and bought a loaded caliper and now its been ;Sweet

That may be the way to go. I can't believe it has worn this much from the last time I had the caliper off when I put pads on it.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
yeah MOST the time the pistons start to freeze up and it holds pressure against the pads which after a short period of time wears the pad down.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since it has grease that's not an issue. Since it locks up sometimes I would go with air in the passenger side line or bad caliper. You said it didn't pull so I would have to agree that its a bad caliper. I would buy one. I don't like to gamble with my brakes cause suddenly finding out you don't have brakes as your headed toward and intersection is a bad feeling. And it will feel even worse if the other guy is bigger than you.

Last edited: