Dipstick tube not fitting?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I got a tube and stick from a 7.3.

After putting it on, the tube is loose and the stick doesn't get any oil on it. If I were to put the 7.3 stick in the original tube, I would get oil. What gives?

The new tube is the one on top.
You must be registered for see images

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best I can tell you is place the new over the old and cut to size. Now have the correct amount of oil in the pan. Apply rtv to the end and place it in the cup thats in the block. Allow it to dry. Remove the stick and see where the level is knowing that you have the correct amount of oil in the engine. Make a line on the stick. Now that line is the new full line.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Best I can tell you is place the new over the old and cut to size. Now have the correct amount of oil in the pan. Apply rtv to the end and place it in the cup thats in the block. Allow it to dry. Remove the stick and see where the level is knowing that you have the correct amount of oil in the engine. Make a line on the stick. Now that line is the new full line.

Okay, well, I got it working. I guess I just didn't get it in right or all the way.

Anyway, I got it in and I got the dipstick showing oil.

Next stop - Oil change.

Thanks!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can see that your "new" tube has a sharper bend in it than the "old" one. That may have been the problem.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was towcat that said awhile back that there are three different tues on the IDI's, you have to have the stick that matches the tube.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tube and s5ick are a match as far as I know. I remove them as an assembly complete and mark accordingly.

Figured was an insertion issue myself.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was towcat that said awhile back that there are three different tues on the IDI's, you have to have the stick that matches the tube.
as long as the whole assy is used, there is no issue. that being said, the installer commented on tube being loose. it's prolly missing the o-ring holding it into the block. take a tube of rtv and cram some into the area between the tube and block. oh yea, the bracket you have partially in the photo with the tubes.....put the damn thing on. it will stabilize the tube.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was going to mention about the o'ring, brain fart, almost 1:00 AM, tired time for bed.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instructions were to replace O ring with new one wen I shipped the assembly. Whether that was done or not has not been addressed here yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online