Diesel Fuel Rated Hose?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to fight dropping my rear fuel-tank (busted showerhead) :puke:
Rear tank is empty and I have a floor jack to help the process.

Fellas, I've called all over and no one carries hose marked "Diesel Fuel Rated Hose"???

One local place (Tripple-R Truck Parts) told me > "in their catalog it's rated for diesel, bio-diesel, ethanol and gas" ...however...it's not marked on the hose itself :dunno

What about "injection hose"...will that deteriorate too? ;Really

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the new barrier hose will work fine.
Ive yet to see any hose thats marked for diesel only. The multi purpose hose thats not supposed to work for gas or diesel has been on my truck for 8 years, with both fuels, not one problem.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe any BUNA nitrile fuel line will be fine from a compatibility stand point. If you go to McMaster-Carr's web site and type in "diesel fuel hose" all the selections that show up are BUNA -N (nitrile rubber).

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Dayco B7 or equivalent Parker hose. Keep in mind that the fluid compatibility rating is usually for the inner tube, not necessarily the sheathing. If you are running biodiesel, the core might be fine but since you are immersing it the sheathing might rot off. Another hose I really like is the Parker 801.

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=5144

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is another idea.. Use a piece of brass or copper tubing and a union. Its a 3/8 inch piece of tubing that the plastic shower head broke off of. Or maybe buy another shower head from Ford.. I have a new one I installed in my rear tank but was talked into dropping the tank and removing it. Felt the new one may not be any better material than the old broken one was. I used some 3/8 fuel hose.. don't recal what material it was either but its been fine for many years now.. If you use some copper tubing curve the bottom of it and install a TEE on the bottom where it might rest on the tank floor. Ors a 90 fitting. Really anything to keep the end from sucking to the bottom of the tank.

gandalf

Reaction score
The hose on my truck seems to be working well, though it hasn't had a whole lot of use yet. The parts store claims it is diesel rated, though that is not marked on the hose.

I'm using a Goodyear hose marked "Fuel/Emission hose, SAE 30R7, 3/8 inch, 50PSI". It hasn't failed yet.;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just use a piece of clear hose the size you need. Available from any hardware store. Lot's of guys use it for filter to #1 injector, If it's good enough for there it should work well in the tank. Azone carries a hydraulic hose, but you have to ask for it not just fuel hose, comes in a box as apposed to on a reel. IIRC it's 30R100

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you got an oreilly's up there? I called them and they said they didn't have any. Walked in in person and the guy said " just about every fuel hose i have is rated for diesel." We checked the book and he was right.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas...and for the good suggestions!

The ONLY parts houses around me are...Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advanced, Nappa, and that one Big-truck place called 'Tripple-R Truck Parts.'
They all have 'fuel injection hose' but they couldn't give me any ratings on it :dunno

Tripple-R was the only one that said... "their catalog called it diesel, bio diesel, gas and ethanol rated"...so suppose I'll be getting it there.
Brazing on an extension/sleeve may be an option too.

Rear Tank is out, shower-head was laying in the bottom...inside of tank is like NEW > I'm going to start another thread with some pictures and more questions.
Thanks again, Ray

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
My truck has had "heater hose" on it since I got it 3 years ago, rated only for coolant. Still working fine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Generally the regular gas hose is not ok for diesel ( I have seen it get soft and rot ), but the stuff for fuel injection is. CHances are the stuff at your truck parts place will be just fine

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are putting the hose in the tank, use a section of nylon truck air brake line, works great ,is rated for fuel and bio does not attack it. If you heat it in hot water it will press over the pickup tube.
I made it long and kept fitting the sending unit and trimmimg till it just touched then took of 1/4 inch more made a v notch in it and safety wired a moroso screen for chevy oil drain holes in the valley on it, works great. 30 gallon bronco tank will suck down enough to hold 33 gallons.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, fellas
The hose recommended from Gates is designed to be "submerged" in gas & diesel AND also exposed to air too! Part # SAE30R10
$24.00 a pre-cut foot!
My local Nappa got it in for me...and says "submersible" right on it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats the good stuff, be careful when putting it on the tube, sometimes the liner will "roll" and cause a blockage

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well lots of ides came out of this thread.. I'm glad it was postd. Now we all have learned several ways to do it right..:thumbsup::D