'93 F350 fuel guages inop was easy, trailer relay?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I pulled the 6 bed bolts, got out the tractor and lifted the bed off the dually F350. Sounds a bit easier than it went due to running boards mounted to the frame. I found the rear tank strainer was missing as well as the front tank, got two of those ordered, Also found the front tank brass float was full of diesel. Ordered one up and waiting it's delivery.
The truck used to have a third fuel tank under the tool box in the rear and the feed hose was shoved through a hoe made in the fuel tank fill hose.
Isn't that special?
I am currently chasing wiring gremlins in the now chopped out bake controller, it was wired wrong, And a seemingly separate source for trailer connectors?
The tail lights have voltage, about 10.5 volts. A bit low, but they beat the no voltage to the trailer connector tail lights. At the end of the trailer connector there is zero volts. I suspect a dual feed which means a relay? Where? Whu? Tomorrow is rain again and by Saturday will be drying out again and I will be back into it maybe tomorrow between the promised rain showers. I am staring at a wiring diagram and supposedly there is a relay in the engine comp fuse box. That might run the tail lights, now to chase down the rest of them.
Well good people it is now 9 PM my time, and this old body has had enough for the day. I will eventually have a few trailer connectors wired in, all on separate fuses and a wiring pigtail adapter or two wired up.
She is fighting me for a 5th wheel hitch that I desired to install, just in case, however I have dumped enough money into this truck for now.
It seems there are currently two variations on the 7 blade wiring connector and I intend to make three.
Good night!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The relay for the trailer wiring will be near the brake booster ON A 91. I'm not sure if it's mounted on the firewall or fender since mine was just sitting on the inner fender because someone didn't put it back... Yours might be different being a 93, I'm not sure.

That trailer relay also feeds the marker lights on the dually fenders on my model year FYI.

The factory relay on my truck looks like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last time it failed I wired it for a standard relay and mounted it on the fender near the hood hinge. If you're looking for yours it may be somewhere near this location:

As I said though, a 93 may be different. I think I heard something about a relay on the side of the fuse box under hood but that could have been on my other truck (GM).

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to pull the bed on my 89 SRW. I think that project just got put back behind fixing the air conditioning though.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 1993s the trailer relays are in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side near the brake booster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thank you good people for all the info. I am finally starting to feel like I am in the top of this project and on the down hill trend. Fighting the wiring, the way I desire to set it up is going to be some time involved.
Looking at the diagram, it looks like I have some wiring to chase down between the trailer battery charge relay, marker lamps relay and back up lamps relay.
Naturally, Naturally, this is NOT the first time the wiring harness has been attacked. This time I get to repair the previous mistakes.
Well, on another note, I found most of the parts for my 4X4 swap. Now to locate a front drive line sometime before Oct, and get the trans picked up next week and rebuilt.
Thanks again!
Bruce