Diesel Down-Major Fuel Leak

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im at a loss right now, my pickup is down with a major fuel leak that I can seem to find. Right now fuel is dripping down at the rate it takes up a square foot area in bout 5 mins. The fuel is dripping down off the bell housing, starter, and then coming off the oil pan. Fuel filter is tight, the return lines are dry. The oil spot i can see where anything is wet is a little bit in the valley pan off the bottom of the ip. Not sure what to do and hoping someone's got some tribal knowledge in how to track down a fuel leak. Will post pics tomorrow so you can see where it is wet.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Check the injector lines where they connect to the IP and make sure they're tight. Also make sure none are cracked (the 3 clamps are still on the lines?). Next would be the IP, there is a seal that can leak (fuel will come out a weep hole under it), but I don't think mere mortals can replace it.

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I had a leak that dramatic it was the IP. Had leaking return lines when I bought the truck that left a pretty good puddle, but nothing quite like that.

Look at your valley pan and see if you can see anything that might indicate the fuel has been flowing across it.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed it's the IP. Either a line has cracked, a line is loose, or you've blown a seal. Get it good and dry under there, sprinkle some baby powder under it, and follow the rabbit trails.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep I agree, it will be found at the IP. First thing I'd do is make sure all the lines are tight. If they are then do as mel described and find where its leaking.

7bicks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My IP leaked and it was just as you described. When the fuel hits the pan it just sort of runs down the back of the engine. I had to use a flashlight to really see what was going on.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got up this morning a noticed i have the same leak. I tore into it and found a leaking return line at the tee from the drivers side injector bank to the main return. start it up, and drip, drip, drip, drip............ about a second apart. Sitting in the driveway, warming her up, leaves about a square foot spot on my drive.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Fish, so is it your return cap leaking? That's one heck of a return leak if it is. Did you get it fixed?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not fixed yet, I have the return line kit I'll be doing this week, since I'm using the rest of my company time off this week. I think either the T is leaking or the return line is cracked. Doesn't seem to be any rust on my injector lines, and no fuel spraying everywhere, or fuel in the valley pan, so I'd say i found my leak.

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input when i get home tonight hopefully there will be enough light to work? I will try what you guys have said, is there an easy way to tighten those lines or special tool, looks pretty tight on the back side of the ip to get anything in there. Maybe crows foot? which i dont have

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it was a cheap fix! More often than not, those leaky returns are kind of obvious.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Glad it was a cheap fix! More often than not, those leaky returns are kind of obvious.

They are pretty obvious, when mine leaked they filled the area around the glow plugs full of diesel

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I managed to find the time and did a complete return lne kit this afternoon, and boy, it was TIME to do it. Almost all the hoses where literally crumbling when I took the spring clips off them. All the caps seemed ok, and amazingly so did all the o-rings, but I replaced it all.

Now just gotta replace the glow plugs and wire up the manual button. I think I'm gonna try and use the either the bosh 80034's or the autolite 1112's. that way, i shouldn't have to worry about them failing this winter. I'll sacrifice starting quickness for dependability. I did notice that I have what seems to be a nearly new GP controller, Looks brand new anyway....

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
What is it with all these people wanting to use other brands? why not use motorcraft!? you will wish you had later when your pulling the heads cause you autolight and bosch swelled the tip up and broke off in the cylinder

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online