"diesel" 2" body lift?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
for some reason the body lifts i see list except diesels, something about they'll over heat?? cookoo:dunno ***? i found one on ebay for $124, i figure that plus a 4" suspension she outta sit pretty nice. ;Sweet any body know what to do about a diesel bodylift.....cookoo

-Jon

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The regular body lift will fit, it's just that sometimes there is interferance between the lower firewall seem and the back of the driver sider head with a body lift. I had to persuade mine back to keep it from contacting, but mine is a 3", I am not sure a 2" would even hit.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2" is alright IIRC, and it helps a lot if you wanna run a big downpipe off the trubo. The cooling problem comes from the fact that the radiator goes up 2" in relation to the engine fan, so there is somewhat reduced airflow and thus cooling ability.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a 2" body lift on my truck for 2 years now and I didn't notice any difference in cooling. I did have to clearance the shroud for the fan to clear it on the bottom, but I payed pretty close attention to where the temp guage was before and after and it didn't effect it at all. 3" will make the driver's manifold hit the firewall from what I've read, so I went with the 2" kit, which came with a steering extension and all the correct hardware. It was an easy install and my 285s look right on the truck.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two-inch will not interfere with the fire-wall.

Three-inch will cause the IDI to come against the fire-wall and vibrate deafeningly.

I put a three-inch on mine when the IDI was still in it.

In less than a week, I took out the risers and sawed them down to two-inch.

I have never had any cooling issues, towing HEAVY, with either engine.

If I had it to do over, I would have added the body-lift the first week I got the truck; a body-lift makes everything else you ever have to do so much easier.

One project that I intend to do is to, one-by-one, cut off the body-mount brackets from the frame-rails and make them THREE-inches taller, with ability to adjust the holes between three-inch and two-inch, then bolt them back on, thus eliminating the spacers and getting the truck back up to three-inch lift; the Cummins has no clearance issues.

One VERY IMPORTANT issue that many fail to address is ORDER A BORGESON SHAFT BEFORE YOU START A BODY-LIFT.

The stock steering-shaft comes DANGEROUSLY close to un-splining itself with even a two-inch lift.

I marked mine before and after, then removed it to examine, and :eek:less than 1/4" was still in the sleeve.

The factory FORD shaft is a death-trap at best anyway, especially so after the rag-joint has been oil-soaked for twenty-plus years.:eek:

Last edited:

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIne has a little over 1 1/2" still in the sleeve (with a 3" body lift), I checked it yesterday when I had the steering shaft off because my steering wheel has been unpside down for a little while. I would still like a better steering shaft though, the stock ones tend to develop a lot of play in a short amount of time, I even had to put a new one on the 2000 Mustang GT that I used to have because that stupid thing was wore out at only 60,000 miles.

Edit: I just checked and the Borgeson Shaft for these trucks run from $248 - $284 if anyone is curious, I know it's not in my budget right now.

Last edited:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the scouts have the same rag joint issues and i've had several tear, one on my way home, the one side held with abot a foot of play in the wheel, made it home. :rolleyes:

$285??!!! :puke: yeahh.... think i'll pass. the scouts are only $145 ;p;p

-Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin