Dial Bore Gage

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Jason. Name a time and date and I will come to you and set you up on the bore gauge....:sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason, good to see the project is coming along. Keep us up to date please. Gary will be a great resource for you for sure.;Sweet

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get the block power honed, straighten that rear cylinder and run it, the back ones can be a little looser anyway, more heat back there. If it is an A or B hole you may be able to find a used C piston for it.

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does a machine shop do the power honing?

There are a,b, and c pistons and holes for these engines? Great. How big are they?

I'd like to be able to save it. Thanks for the information. Maybe I can power hone the bottom of the cylinder like I did the top with the three stone hone. I'll do a little at a time and measure with the dial bore gage. If I'm using it right.

:thumbsup:

I was thinking maybe I could get a piston ceramic coated to fit the cylinder?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looked like a pretty good right up for those who don't know how a dial bore gauge works.
I spent about 10 years running numerous gauges at 2 different shops, but I quit the machinist gig about 6 years ago, so the specifics are starting to get a bit fuzzy............
As far as honing the cylinders; if you're using a hone powered by a hand drill, it will get a good cross hatch back in the cylinder walls (use lots of WD40 or equiv. with that thing), it will take you a year to take out a notable amount of material. We used to bore the cylinders to within .005" of final bore size, then hone the remainder; and that was quite a bit of honing with the proper equipment.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does a machine shop do the power honing?

There are a,b, and c pistons and holes for these engines? Great. How big are they?

I'd like to be able to save it. Thanks for the information. Maybe I can power hone the bottom of the cylinder like I did the top with the three stone hone. I'll do a little at a time and measure with the dial bore gage. If I'm using it right.

:thumbsup:

I was thinking maybe I could get a piston ceramic coated to fit the cylinder?

Machine shop can power hone, throw that three stone in the street, they suck.
pan rail will be marked with the letter size of the bore, piston is marked on top, and they are in tenths of thousands IIRC.

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for stopping by and setting me up with the measurements and International manual icanfixall. I've got your gauge you left that measures cylinder deck height. Maybe we'll have to schedule another meeting or I can bring it to you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Jason. I really enjoyed the visit and the help. You actually know whats going on with the dial bore gauge but having someone tell you its correct is comforting too. The piston deck height gauge I left with you to use as you need it. Don't feel you need to return it anytime soon. Its not an everyday use tool here at my home shop. I will be available to help you out most anytime its needed. A pm is all I need. So guys.... I looked over the bores on the block and they measured out fine. Very little wear at all. The engine was a later 7.3 block with the thicker piston rings. It will get the typ4 cam when it goes back together with a set of turbo rods and pistons and ARP studs. Jason actually was using the dial bore gauge correctly but needed someone to be able to explain that . We spent lots of time talking about the engine specifics and how things can work for the best hp and performance. The article thats being worked on is going be great. I can hardly wait to read about it. I showed the comparisons between the 6.9 & 7.3 head gaskets. I see no reason why we can't remove the plugs in the heads and blocks so the coolant will pass thru the lower corners like the 6.9 blocks do. I feel if the 6.9 engines can run this way so can a 7.3. There seems to be a consensis that the 7.3 engines run hotter than the 6.9 engines. When I drove home from Jasons I was seeing around 250 degrees pyro at 75 mph and 160 degrees coolant with engine oil temps at 160... The freeways were mostly down grades and clear for traffic. Nite time air temps were probably 55 degrees. I felt I was running a little too cool but it ran fine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did he dyno it before teardown, or are they going to do a before and after cam change?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I get all misty eyed seeing everyone trying to help out. Sorry I didn't see the thread sooner or I would have tried, too.

Gary, I'll go with you to help next time if you want. We'll have a L.A. county IDI GTG.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now thats a good idea. Its a fun drive and the weather up there is great. Always something landing or taking off at the ports.