diagnosing the 6.9L want advice

learner

Reaction score
My truck had a "miss" when I got it. It turned out to be a loose rocker arm. The bolt had backed out enough to where it was no longer opening the intake valve. Pop your valve covers off and give it a look

Hi Koch13351! Did you, ( I'm probably dreaming here, ) by any chance run a compression check? I did, and cyl#1 reads ZERO. All the others were 265-285 - pretty low by book info- but still balanced enough for a "PASS"

jdb

Reaction score
My 92 has 6 digits ... but it's electronic, and apparently Ford didn't think these trucks would ever run past 400k km, so when we rolled 400,000 the odometer went back to 300,000!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My 92 has 6 digits ... but it's electronic, and apparently Ford didn't think these trucks would ever run past 400k km, so when we rolled 400,000 the odometer went back to 300,000!
I've heard that before.
When looking at the odometer real close, the first digit can't make a 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OtterF250

Reaction score
In miles, whats the average service life on stock injectors and pump? I'm at 200K (or maybe 300k) and yep they need replaced.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Koch13351! Did you, ( I'm probably dreaming here, ) by any chance run a compression check? I did, and cyl#1 reads ZERO. All the others were 265-285 - pretty low by book info- but still balanced enough for a "PASS"

If number 1 is registering zero... as in doesnt budge the gauge at all... you've got a serious issue such as a burnt valve or a hole in a piston.. etc. Even if the injector was completely stuck wide open.. I'd say you'd still get something on the gauge due to the tight passages in the injector.

Are you certain the gauge was hooked up properly on that cylinder?

I'd say pull the valve covers... see if all the rocker arms are still tight on number one. Make sure none of them have a lot of play. Make sure you dont have a broken valve spring or something like that keeping the valve/valves from closing.

If that doesnt turn up anything... might be time to pull the head on that side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My 89 also has the 5 digit odometer. I have nearly 400,000 miles on my rig. But only the body, frame and differential gears have those miles on them...