Detroits

Reaction score
Are most of you guys anti Detroit? I've always thought the detroits were made to be cheap to fix and pretty bulletproof. From what I understand, it's pretty easy to get more ponies out of them with larger injectors and different pulleys for the blower.

I've always liked the way they sound...but I've never had to run one for long hours.

Paul

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Detroits are not worth owning they burn way more fuel than they are worth if you really want to make money with a truck get one that is Cat or Cummins power or 4 cycle detroits (series 60).

I think the days of 2 stroke Detroits being cheaper to fix isn't the case it maybe slightly cheaper but I doubt its any cheaper than old mechanical Cat or Cummins.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I had a Series 60 Detriot & went to an ACERT Cat. That Detriot was an awsome motor. It smoked quite a bit ( ALOT of blowby) & the only problem I had out of it was it spit out the turbo @130,000 miles. Other than that, it was troble-free & ran like a ***** ape. Now, the Kitty Kat is crap all together. These ACERT motor suck. Very little power & problems galore. My Cat has 135,000 on it. Here's just some of the problems I've had:

Broken rocker arm bolts
Pressure screw fell out of the Jake brake & fell into oil pan
Air pump main line stripped off....twice.
Unloader valves in air pump clogged.....twice
Air dryer Purge valve bent & hung open.....twice ( Not really a Cat issue )
Air distribution box blew the top out of itself...three times
Top turbo mounting studs broke off (two of the four, nasty exhaust leak)
& NO POWER -cuss

I'd love to have my Detroit back. Just my $.02

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
One of the few Jimmy Screamers I ever much spent time with, was a 6V-71, I borrowed from a buddy of mine, to use for a yard rat.

It was in a twin-screw Brigadeer one-stack-window-in-the-back, with a 6-speed, and was an awesome spotter. It went as fast backwards, as most of our Pete's do forward, in high hole-low side.

I wouldn't give you $0.15 for a C-15, or N-14, for that use. Gimme a Jimmy, anytime.

Plus it was easy to find. Just follow the oil drips, to where you parked it last. :rotflmao

Consider also, though, I'd have used The Crossbreed for a spotter, if it had an air supply, and enough springs to hold up the front half of 45k in pipe. LOL

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
DD are cool!!
For local work, or a play toy...it's perfect. Get's the job done(no matter WHAT KW says! )

Saw a '74 KW with 318, 4x4 for sale....that would be neat toy to have!!

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. I like the old 2 cycles as well. There is something about one of those old girls when you've got about one nerve left. That screaming horse is like music to my ears.

Have you got any more information on that KW? I'm looking for a short truck to haul a grain trailer.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:rolleyes: KW....................... :rotflmao :rotflmao

I really get a chuckle out of your "well informed" posts regarding Detroit Diesel engines.

I have never operated one for a living so I guess I'm really not qualified to
question your vast knowledge.

I did however spend the better part of 14 years "operating" ON them :D

Both on hiway and marine, off road as a field tech for Detroit Diesel.
I was with them from'76/'90.

In the end Detoits are really no worse than the Cumminz, Cats. They all share thier own quirks.

I will say that the 2 stroke was not the most powerful over the road, altho I have built some 8V-92's {pre computerised} that put down quite respectable hp #'s on the rollers....575 wheel HP :smoke

Off road in excavation the abilty of the 2 stroke's quick throttle response
was excellent in live boom draglines and cranes.

Detroits shined in marine with the best weight/ hp vs fuel consumption and
they are legendary in the gen set market where the constant rpm of either 1200 or 1800 turns allowed them to reach efficient cyl temps while under load
that yeilded excellent fuel economy.

Current day, however is another chapter as the 2 stroke has gone bye-bye in favor of 4 stroke computerised technology and I'm just defending what I know to be true of the engines that are being bashed here.

I suppose that even with my history bending wrenches on them , I'm just ignorant as to just how bad they are your real world ;Really

I guess now you will get your neighbors/uncles/ex-father in law who works in a truck shop to put me in my place :rolleyes:

You kill me KW...er Pacifier...er Pacific ;p
gawd, did I just reply to a post from KW

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
The company I worked for just bought a 05 Sterling with new Mercedes power the fuel mileage with it is easily double compared to one of their other trucks with 6v92 power. When diesel fuel is around 3.70 dollars for a US gallon there is alot of money saved per day with the Mercedes the old 6v92 would easily burn 1/2 a tank hauling for 6 hours or so. The owner of the company figured it out the 6v92 truck is burning 12-14 dollars in fuel per hour. We do use Canadian gallons which is 4.5 litres so for a CND gallon of fuel is $4.50.

Down in the US your diesel is still cheap come here to Canada the price of diesel fuel is very expensive.

The community I live in is marine oriented where we have towboats,fishing vessels etc with old detroit power are very expensive to run fuel wise. One of the towboat companies I know off runs a 12v71 in their towboat it burns about 14 CND gallons per hour so she burns about 54 dollars in fuel per hour. Another towboat company yanked a old 12v71 out and dropped in a 14 litre mechanical Cummins (brandnew) the fuel consumption was cut in half the engine has way more power and hell of alot quieter.

As for marine engines the 6/71 is the only one that is still semi popular the rest of them like 8v71 12v71 16v71 are being phased out when boats are being repowered.

I know of a couple landing barges powered with detroit power (12v71s) they have 20' exhaust stacks with muffers and they are still loud you can hear the droan for miles away.

Drain the oil and put a chain on a 2 stroke it makes a good anchor LOL

Gravel trucks with old 2 stroke power are cheap no one in their right mind would buy one. Any of the excavation contractors will not touch a truck with one with a 10' pole.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
:rolleyes: KW....................... :rotflmao :rotflmao

I really get a chuckle out of your "well informed" posts regarding Detroit Diesel engines.

I have never operated one for a living so I guess I'm really not qualified to
question your vast knowledge.

I did however spend the better part of 14 years "operating" ON them :D

Both on hiway and marine, off road as a field tech for Detroit Diesel.
I was with them from'76/'90.

In the end Detoits are really no worse than the Cumminz, Cats. They all share thier own quirks.

<snip>

Detroits shined in marine with the best weight/ hp vs fuel consumption and
they are legendary in the gen set market where the constant rpm of either 1200 or 1800 turns allowed them to reach efficient cyl temps while under load
that yeilded excellent fuel economy.

:hail :hail :hail

Amen!

I don't think that any of us has the vast :rolleyes: experience that KW has, but at least from my years in Scouts around marine -71 series engines, I've found them to be great for the applications they were in...and simple to work on (well, except that one in the 40 footer with the messed up fuel system ;Pissed but that one stumped almost everyone! George may remember what I'm talking about).

Try to imagine a fleet of 20 or so boats, most with 6-71's with water-cooled straight exhaust (and a couple of 12V-71's and 6-110's mixed in there), docked and ready to go, with everyone warming up...would make Tim Allen proud :thumbsup: (if only I had had a tape recorder)

gawd, did I just reply to a post from KW
That's what the "Ignore" button's for ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
Tim, it was in a moment of weakness:sorry: besides being on staff :draw
I need to be able to view all posts :rotflmao

I suppose I should re-read my closing sig ;Sweet :D
Oh yeah, keep forgetting that you're all important-like now :D and have to watch everyone. Your closing sig is dead-on, though.

Arguing with stupid people is like wrestling in the mud with a pig. You get all dirty, and the pig likes it...

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
That KW with the DD was in Indiana(somewhere near Auburn). It was pinned on the "sale" board at the ATHS nationals. Price was $5500. Said nice old truck, needs cosmetics. Looked to be 220-250 wb(sleeper removed). Looked to be a nice start for a toy!! Plus it had 4x4 tranny already ;)

Me and my darn twin sticks...LOL!

BTW. there was a really NICE 74 on Ebay last week. Farm truck all it's life, really nice unit, short wb, no sleeper, 350?, 13 spd, alum wheels, $11K and did not meet reserve.

Last edited:

seagravedriver

Reaction score
We have a few left in fire dept. application, I and a lot of others loved them. We only have one left in frontline service. I love the howl of them, and I could always tell a piece of fire equipment from sound. (I did not say noise!) I drive and operate in a totaly diffrent manner than you guys, but some 6V92s and a lot of 8V92s were the standard in this area for a long time. Throttle response was great, and downtime was not much. I am lucky, as fuel economy never factors in. We are all series 60 now. Who knows whats next, as we are due to order a new one in a year or two. Regards, Craig

Bigfootpsd96

Reaction score
im not a heavy truck expeert but my dad has a 96 frieght shaker with the series 60 in it. had it for like 4-5 years now and its been a darn good motor. only problem is she lives up to her name as a drip-troit. need a oil pan and valve cover gaskets. but she runs like a rapped ape. i also drop a truck with a 60 in it for 6 months. ran great and had not an issue one with it at 730ish thousand on the clock.

just my .02 from what little exp i have.