debating whether to pull dash or not

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of restoring my interior on the van as much as I can within reason. Giving myself a budget of about $2000.

I am pulling everything out of the van (plastic trim pieces, etc.) and will be spraying all the metal with ceramic lizard skin sound insulation.

Also, will be repairing all trim and installing insulation tap between everything that touches and might squeak.

I am debating whether it'd be worth pulling the dash all out to spray behind it. The engine in the van sits down between the passengers almost so I wouldn't think ALOT of engine noise would be coming through the very front where the dash is. I would think it would quiet it some though.

My worries are that I would cause even more damage due to fragile/old plastic parts breaking and then I might end up with even more squeaks which is what I'm trying to eliminate.

I've never pulled the dash. Is it more trouble than it's worth? The hardest part I think will be messing around with the steering column and AC/heater parts.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the hardest part about of dealing with dashes is NOT breaking the clips and plastic tabs. I always seem to break them. Of course, it's worse on older vehicles.
I would suspect that if you're right that not much engine noise would come from the front in your van, but I can't say that from experience. I'd also say that I'd you're going that far already I would probably go ahead and do the front as well. I know if I didn't it would eventually bug me to no end as "unfinished" lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel