Dash Wiring Help!!

Zephyr

Reaction score
I love this forum, more of a lurker, but I've gleaned lots from those here. I am trying to replace a melted dash pigtail that runs to the "wait to start", "water in fuel" etc. dash lights. Long story short, I snipped off the bad 8 prong pigtail and went searching for a replacement. No replacement found and in the meantime I lost the pigtail. I have rigged up the wires from the idiot light cluster but can't find a schematic to iron out all the light connections to the dash wiring harness. Does someone have a wiring diagram or easier yet a dash apart to help me easily match the wire colors to their respective prongs?

A second lesser question concerns the resistors on the light module. Do those have any control in cycling the glow plug controller? I replaced my controller in which voltages seem to test fine but it doesn't cycle the glow plugs. I was wondering if the lack of idiot light attached had any bearing on this?

Thanks

1994 F250 IDI Turbo

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here ya go.

The resistors are for the lights only so they don't burn out instantly from battery voltage, having them plugged in or not wont effect the gpc, if you have checked each glowplug by itself and they check out fine, and no bad wiring, you could have a bad relay on top of the controller.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the WTS light has to be in the circuit for the controller to work correctly. I seem to remember that one of the coil leads to the relay goes to the WTS light. If you look at the last diagram (17) it shows the WTS light as in the control ciruit. That might be your problem.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dash is apart still currently, you looking for the color code pin out for the connector to the WTS lamp assembly on the right side of the gauge bezel correct? Or did I not under stand what you were asking correctly? If that's what your after I'll get it for you tomorrow.

Zephyr

Reaction score
Thank you all! The first schematic was what I was needing as I couldn't figure out the role of the diodes (looked like resistors) in the light assembly. I had to go back and review that long ago college course on electrical circuits but got-er-done. I really appreciate your time and the information here. I think my new glow plug controller is faulty but will no for sure when I hook this up tonight.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, good luck to you!

If needed, I will have the dash apart on my 86 tonight and will be working on lights and gauges so if you want another set of eyes checking things out for you let me know how I can help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online