Dash Lights Out

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 86' F250 and I don't have any dash lights. I do have a dome light that works. I know that my dimmer switch is bad could that be causing all my dash lights to be out? What other checks can I do after I replace the dimmer switch?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
All dash light juice comes through the dimmer, so if the windings on the dimmer are open, or the wiper wears out... No lights!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have had a bad dimmer switch leave me with no dash lights. Do all your exterior marker lights still work? They are on the same fuse as the dash lights. Just something else to check.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Did they all die at once? They could just be burned out.

Just to cover all the bases...
You know that turning the light switch knob controls the brightness of the dash lights? They do it differently on newer cars.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know they were burnt out when I got the truck and it needed the dimmer switch replaced then. Yes I know the light switch controls the brightness and it did not bring them on when changed.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know they were burnt out when I got the truck and it needed the dimmer switch replaced then. Yes I know the light switch controls the brightness and it did not bring them on when changed.

There are 12 bulbs in the dash (at least at the one I'm lookin at right now) I used 194 bulbs

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. The instrument lights were the only thing affected. The dome light, the non-stock gauges, and CD player, the back lighting for the Heat/AC all worked fine. But, the lights behind the factory gauges/instruments didn't work at all.

I didn't find the problem, but they are working fine now?:dunno I'm going to follow this thread with you.

Heath

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
how hard is it to get to the bulbs?

1 screw to remove the collar on the steering column, then use a hook tool to remove the headlight and wiper knobs. 3 screws to remove the cluster surround panel and 6(I think) screws to remove the cluster. Pull the cluster forward a bit so you can reach behind to remove the harness plugs and speedometer cable. Budda boom, there you go.;Sweet

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To disconnect the speedo, grab the two tab-like things and squeeze them together slightly, and pull/twist alittle and it should come off. The dash bezel will need some twisting and turning to get around the steering column too. Insert the hook tool or whatever else your gonna use into the holes on the bottom of the knobs (you WILL break something if you force the knobs off). Check all the contacts where the bulbs twist onto that sheet of wires and clean them up if need be. All I can say is to be careful with these old parts as they are brittle. While you're at it read up on doing some white face gauges, I did everything but paint the face of mine white and they are a TON easier to read at night