Dang nabbit, truck wont start

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Truck has been starting great, running awsome up until this morning. This morning it was a balmy 20* out when i went to start it up to let it defrost. Get in cycle the GPs, and gave it a spin...nothing. Tried again two more unsuccessful times. So i took my dads truck instead, luckily he was home.

Did not see anything come from the exhaust, so im lead to believe i have either a frozen filter or gelled fuel. After it warmed up while i was out my dad tried to start it to unsuccessful times. He said the same thing, nothing out the exhaust but cranked very strong. Seems its not getting fuel. I didnt check the sharader valve as i had to leave for the doctors.

I know it has at least 3/4 tank. Batteries are new G31s, starter was just replaced with a gear red unit, elimated 99% of the air intrustion with new olives and soft line i could access and it fired right up with authority yesterday and previously with no issues. I cant plug it in because its parked across the street. So i stopped by Wal-mart on my way home from the doctors and errands and got a bottle of diesel 911. I poured half the bottle in the tank just incase it did gel up. Im gunna try to fire it up in a few and see if the 911 did anything. If not tomorrow im gunna try it once again and it nothing im gunna pull the filter, see what it looks like and fill it with the rest of the 911 and give it hell.

If it is indeed gelled fuel what should i do to prevent this from happening again? I filled up at the same station i always do, same pump (i wait until i can get the same pump). Kinda ****** me off i did all that work and spent the coin to eliminate all the varibles (batteries, starter, olives/fuel line) and now its still giving me issues.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Well i tried it again, no luck but i did get some white smoke out the exhaust. Tried the shrader valve and nothing. Took the filter off and it was full to the brim and overflowed when i loosened it. Snugged it back up and tried again, nothing. Checked the valve again and nothing coming out.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
CAn you get someone to crank the truck over and go out and slightly loosen an injector line to see if your getting fuel to the injectors?

If it were a bad lift pump id think your filter would be sucked dry.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah...crank it with the selonoid and knock a line or two loose and see if ther is fuel there. If not, you need to figure out why. Pop it loose at the filter head also and connect the dots.

SWS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My guess is the fuel gelled up in the lines and filter. Remove the rubber line to the lift pump and blow some air back into the fuel tank. If you have a small enough funnel pour some 911 into the line and blow that back to the fuel tank.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have gelled fuel, 911 in the fuel filter might help, just my .02, good luck.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yep. remove fuel filter, dump it out. fill with 911. pour the rest in the tank. crank for a few seconds to pump 911 outa the filter and let sit for 15-30 mins. then try it.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I guess it doesnt take much for fuel to gel then. Makes me wonder if i got bad fuel or what. Never had this happen before yesterday...

Goin out now to try it, already poured the 911 in the tank last night. Now its time to drain the filter and re-try.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a general rule, all new fuel is collectively pretty crummy. I've gotten a full beer bottle and a half of water in one tank fill up from a local station here, and don't even get me started on what they call gasoline at the pump now :puke:

Talk to some locals and find out where the guys who depend on their rigs fuel up. I try to fill my truck at the same truckstop as I think they have a reputation to keep and I think they turn their fuel over more often, and I see that they have better filtration at their pumps.

I will also admit that I've been running biodiesel as it's a little cheaper, smells nicer and runs really nice in my truck. It was B99 until winter and now it's B50, which is supposed to gel easier, however, I've started down to 25 F (doesn't get much colder than that out here in the NorthWest) and I love the fact that I am getting really good lubricity without the need for additive.

Good luck, hope for warmer weather and better fuel!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy shitzkys if all this gellin is what I will have to contend with...I best stay gasser...NOT, I'll plan for this too....rofl

I literally have nothing to offer here...but watch with much anticipation of a positive outcome!

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Just curious - we do not deal much with gelled fuel here, but is there a way you could hook up the fuel heater to turn on earlier to warm it up? Would that help in a gelled fuel situation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat