Dana 60 Spindle Needle Bearing Seal National SBK3

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I'm replacing the needle bearing inside the spindle along with other front end work and I've got the National SBK-3 needle and seal kit and it has me stumped.

Picture 2 shows the spindle with the new needle

Picture 3 shows the old seal bits. Steel-rimmed, normal looking seal was right by the needle, pressed in the spindle. Plastic washer thing was on the axle stub, and the last part was tight on the axle stub, similar to Picture 5.

Picture 4 is the new stuff. Some rubber-only seal-shaped thing, a plastic washer with a bevel on the inside on one side, and another rubber seal thing that fits well onto the axle, like in Picture 5.

Picture 6 is the plastic washer with the bevel

Picture 7 is the little rubber-only seal thing

Picture 8 is the rubber-only seal in one possible orientation next to the needle, in the spindle. It sits a good 1/8" down below the flat surface on the back of the spindle

Picture 9 is an attempt to show the shape of that rubber-only seal

Anybody able to help me with how these go, since they don't match the old??

I have found this in further googling:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra....aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=7575&t_pn=D/S700014

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5035.JPG
    IMG_5035.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5038.JPG
    IMG_5038.JPG
    502.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5037.JPG
    IMG_5037.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5036.JPG
    IMG_5036.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5043.JPG
    IMG_5043.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5042.JPG
    IMG_5042.JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5041.JPG
    IMG_5041.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5040.JPG
    IMG_5040.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5039.JPG
    IMG_5039.JPG
    391.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at 01:24 am and afrwr many beers ....looks right....but whqt do I know....no seriously I looked 5 times to make sure... ut beers cloud my vision

Just sayin....will look tomororow

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's right. I looked through my pictures and couldn't find exactly a picture of that.

kawamatt

Reaction score
The SBK3 kit you purchased and linked to from 4wheelparts looks to be the old style of inner and outer spindle seal. The roller bearing you have installed is good. I would however suggest to ditch the seal parts from the SBK3 kit and instead order SKF 21918 for the outer and SKF 14634 for inner seal.

The SKF 21918 is, in my opinion, a more robust seal on the axle stub shaft than what you have pictured. What you've shown with the flexible seal and separate plastic ring would be replaced by SKF 14634 as one unit. Basically that flexible rubber seal should have some sort metal frame which you press into the spindle. Then the plastic washer is a thrust washer for the axle stub shaft. Also with what you have now, you have to be careful to install the flexible rubber seal with the lip facing the right way (into the spindle). With lip facing the other way you risk rolling it over when installing the stub shaft and it won't hold grease in the spindle as well.

You can use what you have shown, but its not the latest and greatest in technology for this sealing joint. Go to rockauto and look at a 94 F350 under Brake/Wheel Hub and Spindle Hub Seal. You'll see the newer style parts. Would also recommend to clean up the back side of the spindle to remove all that rust on the stub shaft seal surface.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Well that some good knowledge. The old parts I pulled out were both metal-framed seals.

Those look like better options. Probably fool-proof to install too

Edit:

I now have $32 less dollars, but hopefully a superior result

Last edited:

kawamatt

Reaction score
I suspect you will be pleased when comparing the new stuff to the SBK3 kit. The only reason I know is I tried the same thing when rebuilding a D44 TTB (which uses different seal numbers from referenced above due to smaller axle) in ordering what I thought was a (best) full kit of parts. The only thing I ended up using from the kit was the bearing. I did some further research and figured out there are better parts now available. What also convinced me to go with the newer stub shaft seal was the fact that the original seal lip (what you have pictured in #5) had come apart and was just spinning around on the shaft providing no protection for the smaller seal.

Please come back and let us know your thoughts on the new(er) seals.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jhenegh you have the wrong kit for your axle, sbk3 (sb3) is for early axles that have the big Rock slinger on the stub axle (or dust shield whatever you want to call it) the seal you have on your stub axle will be loose and fall off easily. You need the sbk5 (sb5) that uses a different stub axle seal that's a bit smaller and will stay on. Just a note all axles (d50, d60) can be updates to the newer seal kit by removing the rock/dust shield and installing the newer kit.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just for reference this is what the earlier kit goes on

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Latest and greatest tech for spindle bearings are ploy bushings :D 4wheelparts also sells them I think? I'm almost sure that Longfield makes them.

jhenegh

Reaction score
jhenegh you have the wrong kit for your axle, sbk3 (sb3) is for early axles that have the big Rock slinger on the stub axle (or dust shield whatever you want to call it) the seal you have on your stub axle will be loose and fall off easily. You need the sbk5 (sb5) that uses a different stub axle seal that's a bit smaller and will stay on. Just a note all axles (d50, d60) can be updates to the newer seal kit by removing the rock/dust shield and installing the newer kit.

Just for reference this is what the earlier kit goes on

More good knowledge! Also looks superior to my current set of parts. Probably because they're the right ones!

I'm guessing I'll have the SKF seals Wednesday. RockAuto/USPS says they're leaving Cleveland now. I would've rather done the sbk5 set from the get go, but I guess this is learning the hard way

jhenegh

Reaction score
SBK-5 vs SKF Seals

Well patience never was my strong suite, and I realized I had a big coupon to Advance Auto, so I ordered some SBK-5 kits from them, and then I ended up getting both kits in so we get to compare them.

Short version: National seals and SKF seals appear identical, the SBK-5 kit just had the needle bearing too (and is a cheaper route. Still USA made!)

The stamping weren't the same, so evidently they're not the same, but material wise and everything else, I couldn't tell.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Ended up using SBK-5 Kit

Here's some pictures of the seal install. Thanks to those that steered me correct, this was definitely the right part. SBK-3 was not for this new of a Dana 60. 1994 ball joint style.

Here's just how the two sit together once assembled once the little seal and integrated thrust washer are pressed in the spindle by the bearing

And installed

Good coating on anti-sieze. Yes, my brakes shields still exist on this old rustbelt truck. Axle has only seen 3 winters under this F250, supposedly came from Nevada before that! And I believe it as it is still clean and mostly painted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online