Dana 60 and RSK how to

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok all. Since there was quite a bit of interest in this I am writing a "HOW TO"

1. Park the truck on a hard level surface
2. put truck in park/gear and chock the rear tires
3. Jack up the front end and support CORRECTLY(make sure it is high enough for the new suspension setup[about 3-4" higher than a stock F250])
4. remove the front tires
5. remove the front driveshaft
6. remove caliper and support out of the way
7. remove the shocks
8. remove steering linkage fron the pitman arm
9. properly support one side of the TTB(I used a cam style tye down from the shock tower to a wheel stud.
10. remove the u-bolts for said side of TTB and lower axle to ground(i set it on a dolly)
11. repeat on other side
12. remove axle pivot bolts
13. remove axle from under the truck
14. unbolt the leaf springs and shackles
15. remove the axle pivot mounts(some you can un bolt, other will need to be cut)

OK this is as far as I got tonight. I will continue with the install tomorrow with pics

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok. here is the install
I started with this
You must be registered for see images attach

Sagging front springs, beat ball joints, bad u-joints, destroyed pivot bushings, worn rotors, shot brakes, you know, your typical 100k+ TTB
So i did this

After the axle was removed, I removed the pivot brackets, leaf springs and shackles.
I then spent about an HOUR AND A HALF cutting off the bumper brackets(DO NOT DO THIS step if you are NOT using Superduty 99-04 springs)
Ford welded them on all 4 sides(top, bottom, front and back)

Next up is prepping your RSK to be mounted in the Forward location to use the SD springs(DO NOT DO THIS step if you are NOT using Superduty springs)
I cut the bushings out of the inside(2 small welds per bushing)

What i cut off

After is was cut off

next up is clearancing the RSK for the Military wrap of the SD springs. I removed 3/8" others have removed less, i just wanted to be sure the springs would clear.(DO NOT DO THIS step if you are NOT using Superduty springs)

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Next is mounting the RSK in the correct location for the SD springs.(If using OBS springs, just slide the RSk onto the frame from the bottom. the bushings i cut off a couple steps earlier will side right into the frame where the depression is from the old shackle mount)
Mount the RSK forward 3.5" of where it would of went if I was to use OBS springs.
Should be able to see my scribe marks

After it was clamped in place(3.5" forward and the 5/8 hole still the same height as the original shackle hole) the 10 needed holes were drilled.(4 5/8" and 6 1/2") Pay no nevermind to the 1/2" bolts on the inside of the RSK in the most forward position(dont drill those holes, your bumper brakes will be going right over those holes)

I stitch welded the RSK in place too( I welded them in places I would be able to get a grinder to them if the I needed to remove the RSK)

After the RSK was in place I drilled out the spring holes to 3/4" and the military wrap end of the spring to 3/4". (you need to buy (2) 3/4" x 5.5" grade 8 bolts with nuts and washers)

Also I drill out the wide end of the shackle to 5/8" to match the other end of the SD spring. (you also need to buy (2) 5/8" x 5.5 grade 8 bolts with washers and nuts here too)

Next was to install your SD springs. Before I install ANY leaf springs i thoroughly coat the spring bolts with anti seeze. Put the springs in place but DO NOT tighten the hardware YET.

Install your track bar mount and track bar drop bracket (if you are using one)

Roll the axle under the truck and U-bolt the springs to the axle.
After you have the axle u-bolted to the springs you can lower the trucks weight onto the axle. You can NOW tighten your spring to hanger hardware. Install your steering linkage . Install your brake hardware. Install your new shocks.

Roll the truck forward and backward about 20 feet or so a couple times to center the axle. Now you can connect your track bar to your mount(axle side and frame side). I did NOT use a track bare drop bracket in fear for contact with the sway bar. I just used a SKY adjustable track bar and it works just fine.

Now is time to remount your bumper brackets
DO NOT MOUNT THEM LIKE THIS (this was how i was told and it was WRONG)

Mount them similar to this

If you notice, the mount is about flush with the front of the RSK crossmember. This will give you enough clearance to mount the bumper and NOT have it hit the crossmember. I notched my bumper to clear the actual spring hanger of the RSK. I cut 5"wide x 3"deep.(but i only needed about 1" deep)

As you can see, i cut too much out of my bumper
And you can see the mount(the flat piece that bolts to the bumper has about 1/2" clearance from the RSK crossmember

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Next up was the rear. I bought a Ready lift 5" block kit for a 99-05 SD

Install is just a matter of swapping out the 2.5" blocks for 5" blocks. I cut about 2" off the u-bolts so i could tighten them with an impact wrench. Also intall new shocks at this time.

And here is the finished product. i gained 5" of lift in the front and 2.5" in the rear. Now i just need to get my new tires and wheels
BEFORE

And next to a stock f350(the 350 has 235s and the crewcab has 285s

The ride is better, but i cant really say how butch better. I wish i had another STOCK CCSB to hop into now that mine is done. But my back seat used to rattle going down the road now, it is quiet

You also have to take into effect, I took out original 148k shocks , springs and worn bushing and put in new front springs and 4 new shocks.

There is room for an intercooler just in the fact that the RSK is pushed forward 3.5" when using the SD springs. The intercooler would mount behind the RSK crossmember.

Currently the truck has 285/75/16 on the 16x7 wheels. it will be getting 315/75/16 on 16x10 wheels

Enjoy, Brad

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
looks great brad. good write up. i am contemplating putting this on my crawler..... but might go another way with it.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i still dont know about making it 4x4. i want to but i dont. lol

please don't convert the dually to 4x4, its too nice!

Nice writeup, i had wanted to take pics of my build along the way but since i work on my truck at odd hours of the night after work i just kinda blazed through it without taking pictures.

I'm getting ready to do a rear shackle flip on the F350 now.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
let me know how you like it and if you tow with it

O and here is the truck "completed" with its new(used) wheels and 315s

looks good! Yea i;m kinda worried about doing the RS on the rear since i do tow heavy. but we shall see....

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i will inform you about the RSK and towing the next pocono race. a buddy is towing his camper up with his truck. we installed the RSK a few months ago on it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i will inform you about the RSK and towing the next pocono race. a buddy is towing his camper up with his truck. we installed the RSK a few months ago on it.

RSK or a Rear shackle flip? I know towing with a RSK is no problem, had them in a bunch of my trucks