cx racing ebay intercooler

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 f350 cc is ready for an intercooler. I've done quite a bit of reading on this intercooler and it seems to be the way to go. My question is, which cx racing intercooler fits best, and to those who have been running it a while now, are they still performing well? It will be going in front of a banks kit with a to4b non WG. Thanks.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IC-0022

That is what I have on mine. Total install was about 3.5 hours. I used a 2.25 inch piping kit from ebay too. Had to get 2 3 inch to 2.25 inch 90degree couplers too. Bought those from silicon intake systems.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta be careful which one you get. I bought one that was like 7" tall, 27" wide and 2.5 thick with 2.5" inlet and outlet and it was way too small for my truck. My truck smoked and rattled and hated me for the couple hours it was installed.
Looks like the one you got might have been better for me, how is it working out?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these items listed here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2WKV7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.siliconeintakes.com/bending-reducer/reducer-elbow-p-971.html
I also picked up some t-bar clamps in 3 inch from here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270665248159?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I also welded a small section of the 2.25 inch pipe to the intake snail. Had a muffler shop TIG weld it for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The intercooler I used was they one they market for the 5.0L Mustang.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The intercooler I used was they one they market for the 5.0L Mustang.

Whats the dimensions on yours Mel? I used the Hypermax pipe kit and intake hat. As you know, the inlet and outlet are on the same side of the radiator. I need an intercooler that is not too wide, so as to make a U-turn out the other end and back the return pipe.

I would have liked to bought the intercooler from Hypermax but they are pricey.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also welded a small section of the 2.25 inch pipe to the intake snail. Had a muffler shop TIG weld it for me.

that's really nice.i should have this done to both of mine.i thought i had to find a special place who can weld aluminum? you just used a muffler shop and they had no concern in doing it? is there a specific type of welder that you ask them,that they have before going there?
oh,your using aluminum pipe there too........well shoot,i can change that easy enough too though.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They muffler shop I used specializes in turbo installs as well. They have a Dyno mounted in their floor. They build custom aluminum intercooler piping as well. They have a mandrel bender and a TIG welder. They have no problem TIG welding this pipe to this snail.

I called them a muffler shop and they are, but the are quite a bit more than that.

Arkansas performance exhaust in Sherwood arkansas.

Www.Arkansasperformanceexhaust.com

I have a couple pieces of aluminum pipe that I could send you so you don't have to buy a bunch of pieces.

Let me know.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yeah i guess they are a lot more lol.i'll have to look around to see what my options are locally.sure is nicer than jbweld.;)

hmmm.you know though it may not be the funnest job in the world but if all goes well and i have my heated shop up by next winter,i just may pull the intakes and while having the pipe welded in,take the whole intakes off and have them weld the pressure chambers right to the intakes too.make 'em fully and permanently leak proof.;Sweet

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an ats hat. To be honest, I was considering replicating it in steel. Then I could weld whatever I want to it, clean it up and zinc plate it for corrosion resistance.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's really nice.i should have this done to both of mine.i thought i had to find a special place who can weld aluminum? you just used a muffler shop and they had no concern in doing it? is there a specific type of welder that you ask them,that they have before going there?
oh,your using aluminum pipe there too........well shoot,i can change that easy enough too though.

Aluminum can be MIG'd also, altho you have to run straight Argon, Aluminum wire, and preheat for best results.
TIG will seal alot better.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I pre heat aluminum when I tig it. Best way I have found so far is use a cutting torch flame that makes soot. Keep the heat on till the soot blows off the aluminum. your ready to tig.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intercooler should be here next week, then I'll tackle the hat and piping. Funny thing, im in the middle of learning to tig aluminum. So far I suck:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the dimensions on yours Mel?

Wish I could tell you. I used to have all kinds of nice pics with measurements on Webshots, but that ship has sailed. I can't really get to it to measure it without a lot of work. LOL