Custom turbo questions

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R&D has 3/8" exhaust flanges on his website for 40$. They're not stainless but what the heck. Also, his turbo pedestal and inlet is about as good as it gets. That is if you can shoehorn some pipe back there.

Attachments

• 3443211ed479baaac31936e411063755.jpg
    3443211ed479baaac31936e411063755.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 26

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, i dont like that set up.

one of my favorite things to do in vehicles is build headers.
all stainless steel is the best.
ive build hundreds of sets out of mild steel.
but NOTHING beats a nice set of TIG'd stainless headers for durability and aesthetics

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with Stainless Steel there is no warp, no maintenance. fabbed up and polished, they will shine for YYEEEAAARRRSSS
or atleast until you coat em in oil, and bake it in.
undecided how they will be used ATM.
they were pricy 120 a flange.
but there exactly what i wanted.
i will be either making them a dual turbo system, or a GTP38
basically im just rounding up the hard to find parts when they pop up.
this was a major piece to the jigsaw puzzle in my scrambled brain.

If you went with a dual turbo system would you do parallel turbos or compounds? Also what turbos would you use? Would you do any additional mods like more fuel?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you went with a dual turbo system would you do parallel turbos or compounds? Also what turbos would you use? Would you do any additional mods like more fuel?

i have been thinking on a parallel set up, and a custom 2-1 IC so the engine sees the same boost from each bank.
i have not ran any numbers yet, so i dont know what turbos i would use.
but im thinking 2-093 kits would push the same as a GTP38. then again i have not compared them.

either way, the header tubes will all be the same length.
and have a common collector.

of course it would need more fuel.
130 cc moose pump is not out of the question.
but first things first.
building a lower end that i can build off of.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I have a new place to order my SS from.
Cheaper than summit

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R&D has 3/8" exhaust flanges on his website for 40$. They're not stainless but what the heck. Also, his turbo pedestal and inlet is about as good as it gets. That is if you can shoehorn some pipe back there.

Strictly from the exhaust flow design standpoint, I don't like the header setup. It is awkward and is full of flow restrictions which make turbulent flow, which robs energy. Also, the up pipes are really a flow disaster, so, from my engineering viewpoint, no thank you.

The 99/up PSD flow path really makes sense to me, and apparently Ford engineers with lots of big bucks to play with. Why not follow the same example? Short, clean bends, as few interruptions in flow path as possible, right into the turbine wheel.

I do like the location for the turbo however. It's about where I'm thinking it should be for access and plumbing.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya on the headers guys, its the rest of the setup im trying to point out. Its not too far off, just sayin.

Attachments

• F30183733.jpg
    F30183733.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01498_zps76208336.jpg
    DSC01498_zps76208336.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 15

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Headers with tuned length tubes are not really necessary with forced induction. On a NA motor, it serves the purpose of helping scavenging of the combustion gasses. Ever look at s set of pro-stock headers? That's the reason the primary tubes are so long. Not saying there is no benefit in free flowing plumbing but it less important when you apply head pressure. Remember the engine is just an air pump.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Headers with tuned length tubes are not really necessary with forced induction. On a NA motor, it serves the purpose of helping scavenging of the combustion gasses. Ever look at s set of pro-stock headers? That's the reason the primary tubes are so long. Not saying there is no benefit in free flowing plumbing but it less important when you apply head pressure. Remember the engine is just an air pump.

I would imagine though, that keeping cylinders seperated as long as possible would pulse the turbo better.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya on the headers guys, its the rest of the setup im trying to point out. Its not too far off, just sayin.

The picture on the left is what I'm talking about,,, almost.. it still uses stock exhaust manifolds, which I believe can be improved on for IDI application with a turbo. The turbo location is good for me, and the intake piping comes and goes like I've had in mind..

Notice how nice and tight the down pipe lays, with a nice Vband clamp where you can get to it? Wouldn't that be nice after fighting a Sidewinder setup for a couple days... or one of the others.. ?

Someone, somewhere, on this board should be building a turbo system for IDI's that does that. Then we can start using off the shelf turbos with different ratios and flow rates to optimize the system..

IDI will never be as "exact" with fuel management as the computer PSD.. but it's got a lot more to give than we are getting without a lot of compromise.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pic on the left is a 2000 psd. Justins setup from r&d on the right. Other than the goofy EM on justin's setup, I really dont think you could cram a simpler, better setup in our trucks.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agreed. but the quicker you get the air in and out, the more air it will pump.
i also agree that headers of the same tube length wont do big things for power output. but they can help IMO.
i dont have any expensive flow benches, or testing facilities but seeing that a turbo is driven by exhaust, i want the set up i fab up to be as free flowing as possible.
plus it will look (.)(.) thats what im primarily after.

The pic on the left is a 2000 psd. Justins setup from r&d on the right. Other than the goofy EM on justin's setup, I really dont think you could cram a simpler, better setup in our trucks.

after dealing with my OEM ATS, and my GTP38, and a few TP38's
i will not be using a slip fit up pipe. ever again.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been thinking on a parallel set up, and a custom 2-1 IC so the engine sees the same boost from each bank.
i have not ran any numbers yet, so i dont know what turbos i would use.
but im thinking 2-093 kits would push the same as a GTP38. then again i have not compared them.

either way, the header tubes will all be the same length.
and have a common collector.

of course it would need more fuel.
130 cc moose pump is not out of the question.
but first things first.
building a lower end that i can build off of.

Sounds cool. Two Hx35s might be better than two 093 turbos. You could get decent spool up and good flow with a 12cm housing on each. As far as two 093 turbos go, they would push more air that a GTP38 I would think. I would have to see compressor maps but that is my guess. Do you have a build thread going at all? For the engine as well as the turbos?