Custom turbo questions

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say make your own hat. Here is an intake hat I fabed to accommodate my intercooler. Its made from 5"dia. aluminum pipe. I suck at welding aluminum, but it turned out great and works awesome.

Attachments

• 20150329_122023.jpg
    20150329_122023.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an intake hat I fabed to accommodate my intercooler. Its made from 5"dia. aluminum pipe. I suck at welding aluminum, but it turned out great and works awesome.

was there a picture that goes with this post?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice hat!
didnt look too bad of a weld job, after you ground it and painted it! :D

to flip the pic, before you upload it, right click on it, and you should find an option to flip counter, or clockwise.

EDIT: what color tungsten did you use?

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grey, ceriated tungsten. I welded a collar on the inside so I could double gasket it. So it has a 5"id. and a 5"od. O ring and it doesn't seep a drop of oil at 9lbs of boost. I can definitely glue some aluminum together, I just cant stack dimes or anything so a grinder and some paint are always in order;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an 088 kit, the intake snails are getting hard to find so I would go with a custom one and an intercooler. You can only run a bigger downpipe right after the casting. If you decide not to use it . DONT TOSS IT. parts are worth something, might do a little trading with you if you want to do a custom setup with 093 castings. they arent that bad, and your crossover will work with that also.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at IDI 6.9 /7.3 engines now for the nearly 8 years I've been a member here, and before that I owned a couple of 99 and up PSD's... If you look at the exhaust manifolds on the late model PSD you'll see the up pipes going to the turbo are "up" right out of the exhaust manifolds, which really simplifies the location of the turbo and gives a place for the turbo to be clocked for the down pipe out of the turbo.

Add to this, the PSD intake, which is really different, since it's almost all tubes, and gets rid of the "intake hat" issue completely, can be sealed up much tighter, and lends it's design to use of an Intercooler.. which the late PSD's use.

Seems to me.. with all the fabrication talent we have between us, someone could come up with a set of jigs to build exhaust manifolds that fit the IDI engines and copy the method used by the PSD for turbo pipes, AND come up with a complete intake system that gets rid of the cast aluminum/intake snail/cobbled it till it works turbo systems used presently..

Someone, somewhere can water jet or plasma cut a set of plates for exhaust, and a set of aluminum plates for intake, manifolds... then use schedule 40 tight bends for the exhaust manifold to weld it up.. "should work" ??

The intake manifold, if you get rid of the intake snail idea.. could be plates mounted to the head with welded tubes, with silicone tubing interconnectors to more tubes, that were plumbed to go to the compressor side of the turbo, or if you are running Intercooler, made with the right bends to connect FROM the intercooler, with the turbo compressor exit plumbing sized and bent to go TO the intercooler..

It would give a whole open spectrum to selection of turbo used.. allow the turbo to be clocked for better access and down pipe. There are a lot more to choose from than back in 1985 when folks first scabbed together a turbo system.. and we keep living with the half-ass choices they made back then..

If someone cares to read up on thermodynamics and what happens to a fluid [air is a fluid in engineering terms] when it is pressurized, travels through tubes of various sizes, etc.. For example, if tube size in decreased, speed of movement increases, pressure remains the same.. etc etc etc...

Bigger tubes don't flow more air necessarily, but the speed it moves as will reduce for the same pressure.. [perhaps a good idea inside an intercooler.. slow down a bit, give more time to shed heat through heat energy transfer of the fins/air cooling effect of the intercooler.. ]

Anyway.... How about it guys? Would need a mockup block with heads and IP with injector lines and glow plugs with a mockup cab firewall to get the clearances right.. I'll bet there are some of those to be had.. Then fab away..

Once all the mistakes have been made and fixed.. make a set of welding fab jigs to produce them as sets..

Anyone up for the challenge????;Sweet

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im currently, and secretly exploring those options.
i have a set of header flanges lined up.
i will be purchasing them this coming up week.
3/8 stainless exhaust flange.
i will be building a set of headers, for a twin turbo design.
i will also be fabing up my own intake, stainless as well
ive been keeping an eye out for a turbo block core.
this will be not ran in any of our trucks tho.
more of a hotrod based style vehicle.
i actually have a old military 2.5 ton cab that ive been thinking about putting it into.
or i have a 1919 overland rolling chassis that could easily adapt for an IDI.
im in no rush to do this, but im lurking...

a few other projects to finish up first!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there sorta is a solution to these problems. R&D just put out a turbo plumbing kit which includes a modified intake manifold. Should take a look at it. It's not cheap but it might give you some ideas.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I say make your own hat. Here is an intake hat I fabed to accommodate my intercooler. Its made from 5"dia. aluminum pipe. I suck at welding aluminum, but it turned out great and works awesome.

I wanna see more of this and what kit are you running with it

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.. who is R & D and where is the link to this intake manifold? I went looking and didn't find them or it..

Links man.. gotta have links... I'm computer challenged..

Thanks..

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna see more of this and what kit are you running with it

Its a banks kit with an older rebuilt to4b non WG turbo, a 150$ cx racing intercooler from ebay and my fabed intake hat, nothin fancy. Banks will sell you pieces of there kit for a reasonable price. I basically bought there entire sidewinder kit minus their turbo and muffler for about 800$

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Its a banks kit with an older rebuilt to4b non WG turbo, a 150$ cx racing intercooler from ebay and my fabed intake hat, nothin fancy. Banks will sell you pieces of there kit for a reasonable price. I basically bought there entire sidewinder kit minus their turbo and muffler for about 800$
Hhhhmmmm I may have to look I to that

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the R&D link.. The exhaust manifold setup they have is what I'm talking about..

Need to do the same thing for the intake..