Custom Lower Compression Pistons

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ROSS PISTONS

I saw these guys advertise in Diesel Power and checked out their website. It seems they may be a source for lower compression IDI pistons. The minimum order is just 4 pistions.;Sweet

Anyone ever talk to our bought pistons from these guys?:dunno

Heath

tractorman86

Reaction score
they are pretty big in the racing world. i have never heard anything bad about them. how much are they asking for a set?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats the kicker....how much is it going to cost us LOL?

It would be cool if it wasnt to insanly expensive ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ross pistons are great! I currently have a set of domed ones in my 355. They are rated for a 1000hp shot of nitrous, if I ever want to push my luck. lol
I can verify that their product is quality.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just shave off some OEM replacement piston if all you wanted was dropped compression. I paid $75 to have a set of 8 pistons turned in a lathe to have 20 thou take off. Not sure what the cost for anodizing would have been, but I was only after a mild build. Others have had 6.9 pistons anodized.

What would the cost be for a set of these pistons if they are custom?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of us needs to do some research. Here's what I'd like done to mine: lowered compression around 18 or 19:1, have the piston pin boss set up to bolt to the factory turbo rods. Hard top or anodized...maybe, maybe not. I'm still thinking staying safe in terms of EGTs, just going for lowered compression to have more room for boost and fuel without compromising reliability too much. 18 or 19:1 with a good glow plug system should be fine in Florida weather even on a cold day.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you know what you want you can call Ross and have them make your pistons to your specs. A friend of mine was building engines before he packed up and went crew chiefing for a bit at nascar so I got his discount back then.
Check out this compression ration calculator http://www.rosspistons.com/calculator.php

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great pistons, been through the factory, ordered some for a custom harley race bike I helped a guy build. If you draw it they will make it. relatively unbreakable.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could just shave off some OEM replacement piston if all you wanted was dropped compression. I paid $75 to have a set of 8 pistons turned in a lathe to have 20 thou take off. Not sure what the cost for anodizing would have been, but I was only after a mild build. Others have had 6.9 pistons anodized.

What would the cost be for a set of these pistons if they are custom?
Does shaving the top of the piston make it subjective to break under higher horse applications and does anodizing it put some of the strength back in it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch Barney's truck and we'll all find out. :D :popcorn

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does shaving the top of the piston make it subjective to break under higher horse applications and does anodizing it put some of the strength back in it?

Considering how little is removed (in my case of 20 thou at least) it doesn't really affect the strength of the piston. Anodizng I have been told is to increase the resistance to high EGTs.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering how little is removed (in my case of 20 thou at least) it doesn't really affect the strength of the piston. Anodizng I have been told is to increase the resistance to high EGTs.
Thanks.

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Is it ok to remove around 50 thous. off the top of the piston? Im looking to get the compression low enough so that I can run 30lbs of boost. I was thinking of maybe running a turbo off each bank, thats why im concerned with putting so much boost.

tractorman86

Reaction score
20 or 30 is all i would think you could take off. maybe 50 if it is a forged piston and ceramic coated.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a guy on the other forum that took 40 thou off his pistons and can run the high 20s for boost, don't remember him mentioning ever hitting 30 psi though. He's been running the crap out of it for a couple years now, and managed to blow the valley pan from so much boost. So far the engine itself is holding up though.

I only took 20 thou off of mine since I wanted to still get good MPGs.