custom down pipe?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did some searching on here, didn't find much about if any / many people have tried to make a custom down pipe for our engines... i have a great muffler shop in town that could most likely bend the tubing to fit the route needed... then it seems it would just be a matter of making the mounting to bolt to the turbo which i would assume i could follow the tech article where the pwr stroke dp was used.. just curious with as many thinkers / tinkerers that are on this forum i figured it would have been tried many times by now... any thoughts?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i used some decent flex pipe, super easy to route and bend to where you need it and have clearence.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSL i seen those, but have read that they just get back ordered infinately.. then people call Banks direct to have one made up is what it sounds like..
Subway - what size flex pipe did you use?

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summit Racing has the Banks pipe, part # 52103. When I had my '94 IDIT Summit didn't carry it then so I called Banks and ordered directly from them. It was the easiest down pipe to install that I've ever done. Perfect fit and worked like a charm. Compared to the POS flat factory down pipe it was like the difference in chicken poop and chicken soup!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i got 2.5 inch, i cut the top of the factory crush pipe off and the 2.5 flex fit right on. the rest of my exhaust was 2.5 also so a couple of band clamps and about a half hour of work and i was done. summit sells nice flex pipe to, even stainless if you want fancy LOL i could probably fit 3 inch just fine also but i dont have an upgraded turbo outlet and 2.5 was availible when i needed it.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks chevy those are the options i am looking at... was just thinking that from the looks of the pipes it would seem a competent exhaust shop could make something up in 3" tube in no time that would work out fine..

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my turbo setup I made all the piping my welding up prebent mandrel bend sections of piping, 3" IIRC. Muffler shop is probably going to charge a pretty penny to do anything if they're even willing to try. Unfortunately about the only way to do it is trial and error and that gets pricey and labor intensive real quick!

Remember too that most muffler shops don't have a mandrel bender, so you may get crinkly bends - not going to help flow any.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very true.. looks like i may just do the powerstroke down pipe and mod it.. see them on ebay for around $80.. that ain't bad..

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even a compression bend is WAY better than the factory downpipe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.