Cummins in 1/2 ton?

Rodney

Reaction score
I figured i would finaly post on here after lurking a few weeks. My names Tyler and im from central Oregon. I have a little experiance with diesels but not to much. I know lots about them, mostly cummins cause thats the only one that intrests me. Anywho back on the subject. I have the chance to get my hands on a late 80s dodge, (dont know what year) and im pretty sure its a 1/2 ton. The Engine had a fire and some portion is burned. Maybe a 318?:dunno. If i purchase it i was thinking about swaping a 12v cummins in there. What would i have to do to the suspention? And would it mount up the the 1/2 ton frame.

If this is in the wrong section just relocate. Thanks Tyler "Rodney"

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Many C guys put their engines in the 80 dodges bc this are the ones that where still 4 door, other than that there isn't anything else that I know that would make this a good candidate for a cummins conversion. Unless You are a big dodge fan, ford made 4 door trucks with all the options that are newer and are very cheap too.

Rodney

Reaction score
Ok yea, Tru. What about rear ends. Would the 1/2ton diff handle the cummins torque? Im not a really big ford fan except the ole f series. like 390's 429's blah blah blah but i still would never own one. And there are way to many chevy guys out there. So Dodge it is i guess. I think tomarow i will go talk to the owner of the dodge and see what he wants for it.

lol this could keep me out of trouble since im in college and as of yesterday unemployed.:dunno

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
If you do the swap make sure you brace the area around the steering box. Especialy if it's a 2wd. I just scored a 3/4 ton 91&1/2 yesterday for a grand that the entire front end is falling out of. Dodge grossly under estimated the jarring the suspension would take under all that weight.

Good luck!!

Rodney

Reaction score
Yea im aware of that. I dont think im going to do much towing. So not much jarring. Maybe some quads or something. lol I just like the cummins and 1/2ton dodges. I might just buy a 3/4 ton. Im just not really into the long bed. All i really want it for is a daily driver and or a hunting/trail rig. I might just wait for this economy bs to get over and just splurge and buy a 3/4 ton. College ends this term so that will give me a little bit more slurge money.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
When you said Central Oregon, I thought you might be close to me. I guess you still are, but I think I'm the only one on this side of the pass. Lots of members over the other side of the pass from me though. I don't know much on the Dodges, so I guess my input might not help at all, but I don't know if the 1/2 ton could handle the weight of the "C" on the front without some added support and different springs/suspension.

Rodney

Reaction score
haha i wonder over in that area once in a while. But not to much anymore. Yea i guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be doable, but not practicle. You would need to buy a donor truck to make the conversion even remotely cost effective, and the truck you bought would just be a long bed version of what you want to build. Just buy a 3/4 ton truck and convert it to a shortbed if that's what you want. Unless you are doing a crew or Ramcharger build, it's not worth the effort.
Travis..

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
If you are insistent on using a half ton as a recipient, you may want to go with a 4BT Cummins to keep the weight down. There will still be a substantial amount of power on tap with it.

( I wouldn't use a half ton unless it was a "special" sentimental sort of truck. )

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything differnt from the ram charger then the 1/2 ton other then the body?

No, they're the same. Since you said maybe use it as a trail truck, I assume you want 4x4? If so, just buy a standard cab 3/4 ton diesel, move the rear axle forward and install a short bed. A dana 44 and a 9 1/4 aren't gonna handle a Cummins. If you want to do a Ramcharger, that's a different story. Just get a complete running 1st gen donor and swap everything into a Ramcharger body/frame. It should be 100% bolt in if you use an 82/83-ish up Ramcharger.
Travis..

Rodney

Reaction score
Ive been looking at a 1990 Ramcharger 4x4 360 fuel injected. I may pick up that and look for 12v cummins to put in there. Not sure yet thou. I aslo know where theres a first gen flatbed with tandems thats been sitting in a field for the last five years i may try to score that for parts, and of course the engine.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to go is to buy a complete and running donor that you can swap EVERYTHING into the Ramcharger, axles too. That way you have all of the little trinkets, brackets, screws, etc to make it an easy and smooth process.
Travis..

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a guy that has an 80's chevy half ton with a cummins and the rear end is stock and the stock suspension holds it up fine. He did say he had to move the crossmember back some but that was it so it seems relatively easy.