Cruise Control

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to put cruise in my 90 sig truck and I am wonderin if the cruise works on the speed or the rpm's? When I am at normal cruising speed of 100 km/h (62 mph) the needle will bounce around most of the time up to 3 mph difference but the tach stays steady. Is this gonna be an issue?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
On my 87, the speed sensor for the cruse control is a pulse adapter at the end of the speedometer cable where the cable plugs into the transmission. That shouldn't be affected by your bouncy speedo, it's getting it's reading before the cable is snagging, or the speedo.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how it works. But the cruise on my 87 wont hold speed on hills. I gotts step on the gas. Once I lose 15mph the cruise automatically shuts off. So if I have it set @70 it will drop and drop till it shuts off @55. Something to remember anyway.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info!! What causes the speedo to wobble like it does? Is it just tellin me its time to replace the cable?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
It can be the cable binding in it's jacket, either from wear, or from a kink or dent in the housing. It can also be a mechanical falure in the speedo itself. I have seen both, however it's more often the cable. However, seeing as I don't know that non cruse equipped trucks would have the speed sensor. I'd replace the cable and see what happens. You wouldn't need a diesel specific one, just one from any bricknose with cruse. So that's likely an easy junkyard find. Then replace the gear on it with the one from your truck and you should be good to go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most cables run dry and start bouncing. Many autoparts sell a fitting that screws onto the end of the cable and has a grease fitting on it. you pump in grease to lube the cable easier than removing the cable and hand greaseing it. I have greased my cables both ways. Either way it works fine after grease. If I can't find me special tool for greaseing I sure use a pair of rubber golves now a days... Too hard keeping hands clean these days.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4 on the gloves! I grease a truck with 33 grease nipples on it every week and so I have an idea of how messy it can get at times haha...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...If I can't find me special tool for greaseing I sure use a pair of rubber golves now a days... Too hard keeping hands clean these days.

Annother GMM special edition coming out....How to...Keep your hands clean while giving lube jobs!