Cross Country Update With need advice

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I made it to Asheville NC tonight. But my clutch pedal is sticking about half way up. I can flip it up with my foot and it's fine. Either the clutch master cylender is leaking internaly or the slave cylender is. Can ya'll give me any advice. If I hold my foot on the clutch for about 45 seconds the clutch slowly starts to engage. Any help ia really apreciated. Thanks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you may have an air leak in the system. what route are you taking? you may have help along your path of travel. ;Sweet
btw...if you haven't reg'd in the boob site yet, you should. Most of the basement dwellers have reg'd their location and phone numbers there. have faith, we'll get you to Kalifornia and then you'll be wondering why you even put in for transfer to this nutty state. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Last edited:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Make sure your clutch pedal linkage under the dash is not falling apart. If that linkage gets out of geometry the hydraulic clutch wont ever work rite. If youre not low on fluid in the master cylinder you should check it out carefully. I have seen many clutch masters and slaves changed out because the linkage was the culprit.
If you get in a bad jam check the oil burners member loction map post and ask for help if you need it. There are many good people here ;Sweet
Good Luck
Ken

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Route

I am staying on I40 all the way accross the country. Tomorrow I should be in Memphis around mid to late afternoon. I have been looking for a leak or anything obviously wrong with it. So far nothing jumps out. Thanks.

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the boob site?

I will just be glad to get to the sunny state of Ca. Mostly because it'll be the first time in 13 years that I will be non deployable for a couple years. Where is the boob Site so I can register. Thanks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this time of the year, I run the 10. Like Ken said, check your pedal assy. If yours is no good, I have a friend living in Lebanon MO and I can ship a rebuilt bracket and pedal group to him. I'm sure he'll be happy to give you a hand to change it out.

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worn bushings

my clutch linkage is worn. There is about 1/4 of slop in the pedal linkage. I need new bushings for it once I get to Ca. Thanks for the advice. I'll milk it accross the rest of the way. Thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's not leaking fluid, maybe it's getting air in it. At least you won't need to use it most of the way. Good luck!

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
DeeseSR said:
my clutch linkage is worn. There is about 1/4 of slop in the pedal linkage. I need new bushings for it once I get to Ca. Thanks for the advice. I'll milk it accross the rest of the way. Thanks.
you may need that pedal assy from Calvin... i ignored mine long enough that the axle ovalized the bracket & i needed a new one. Ford p/n up there in the parts bin (IDI tech articles).
Good Luck.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a question...in case you do lose clutch functionality, are you able to shift without the clutch? Clutch-less shifting isn't very nice to the syncros, but if you're careful about it, you won't do too much damage...and since you're running on the freeway, you shouldn't need to do it all that often, and it'll keep you from being stranded. If you haven't done it before, it might be worth it to practice a little bit...it's really a matter of trying to match engine speed to the speed the tranny's spinning at, and is an art form as much as anything else ;)

My clutch slave cylinder failed in 2003, and I wound up driving to Napa and back with no clutch...while towing the trailer from Hades :shocked: With the trailer in tow, I had to shut the engine down every time I needed to stop, and then start the truck in gear (read: the starter was moving the truck and trailer!) when I needed to get going again. It was exciting, but was able to pull it off...and I got another full year and a half of life out of that starter, before losing all 8 glow plugs and (stupidly) cranking the engine over more than I should have...

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I had problems getting my 93 truck into 1st / rev from a dead stop, If I had my foot on the brakes the shaft shifted so I couldn't get it in gear, If I pushed the clutch in first, I had no problem, because it rocked the other way. I replaced the whole pedal assembly because the aluminum was ovaled out to much to repair.

Mike :D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
since this has been mentioned a few times, is there a link where to get that linkage for the clutch pedal? Not the plastic one but the metallic (aluminun?) some mention as an upgrade?

Thank you, Exekiel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online