Crooked vacuum pump pulley?

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out my vac pump today. Pressed the pulley on with a bolt and spacer. Looking at the inner edge of the pulley to the shaft, everything looks even. When its running on the truck tho, it quickly "walks" back and forth. The shaft on the pump isn't bent, I eyeballed it before I started. Does it sound like I just have the pulley a bit off, or can the pulley actually be bent by pulling it off? I did use the correct puller. Also will it hurt much to run it? It's not a bad walk and it doesn't affect the belt in any way.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed out my vac pump today. Pressed the pulley on with a bolt and spacer. Looking at the inner edge of the pulley to the shaft, everything looks even. When its running on the truck tho, it quickly "walks" back and forth. The shaft on the pump isn't bent, I eyeballed it before I started. Does it sound like I just have the pulley a bit off, or can the pulley actually be bent by pulling it off? I did use the correct puller. Also will it hurt much to run it? It's not a bad walk and it doesn't affect the belt in any way.
if this is a serpentine belt system, the pulley can be bent easily. get a new one. they are still available from the stealership.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a tweaked install going on pull it lube the shaft a bit, and hopefully the puller is a combo tool that has the install portion to thread in and press it on the shaft squarely...

If you have to do the bolt trick....use a bolt long enough to bottom out and have enough room to use a NUT to walk the pully down the bolt over the shaft...stack a couple flat washers under the nut and lube them so when you twist the nut down your forcing the pulley on square down the pump shaft.

No I would not use the the setup if it's wobbling...it will destroy a belt!

Al

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. Ill reinstall. If that doesn't do any good ill get a new pulley.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As asked above.. Is this a serpentine belt system... If so these pulleys do bend. That will ruin a good belt too. How they get bent is a mystery too. I carry a spare pulley for my serpentine belt system and the tool to install it. Also carry a spare idler and shock absorber tensioner too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online