Crank no Start

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 97 F250. I knew is didn't run when I bought it, but the price was good to pass up. The previous owner said that all it needed was an IDM because of water intrusion. He showed me the inside of the IDM, and I could see all the corrosion. I installed a rebuilt IDM, and still crank no start. My question is can a bad PCM also cause a crank no start. When I turn the key on, I have no CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. However, when I ground pin 2 from the PCM connector, it lights up, so I know the bulb is good. I checked power and grounds to the PCM, and they are all present, so I am suspecting a bad PCM since the CHECK ENGINE light does not come on with the key on. I also have power and ground to the IDM as well. Using a scanner, when I ran the injector buzz test with the "new" IDM and I got the following codes:

P1293 - High Side Bank No. 1 (Right) Open
P1294 - High Side Bank No. 2 (Left) Open
P1274 - Cylinder 4 - High To Low Side Open Detected

When I pulled codes from the PCM I get a P0603 - PCM Keep Alive Memory Test Error

Can a bad PCM cause the IDM codes? Can a bad PCM also cause a crank no start? Do I have a bad PCM?

I am a professional mechanic, but I don't work on many diesels. That's why I bought one.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Tim

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes a bad PCM can cause IDM codes, but I dont think that is the case here. When you complete the injector buzz test are you actually hearing the injector solenoids cycles as each cylinder is commanded?

If you do not have any injector solenoid noise when commanded on the test, if not, I think you may be having an issue with your through valve cover harness, witch is a part that also functions as the valve cover gasket. I would check there, to see if you see any damage on the engine side of the harness, or if there is any melting on the side the goes into the valve cover. High side codes usually come up when things are unplugged. I would start there.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did hear a bunch of buzzing when I did the injector test, but I wasn't under the hood to see which injectors were buzzing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That KAM code means you have no power to the PCM. It's a common fault that the filter heater can short out and blow the fuse that powers it and the PCM and a couple of other things, it will be a 30 amp fuse my 99 is in the lower right corner in cab fuse panel. You can pull the heater plug on the side of the filter bowl. IH has a replacement for $26, a good one. Don't know if the 97 has double UVCH connectors, but they arwe prone to come partially unhooked under the valve cover, your codes show that. Also the harness on top to the UVCH has a tendence to rub and short out, sheck that also. Check the ICP connector for oil, if it has oil it could prevent it's prolly bad, you can disconnect and try to start. The IPR has a tin nut on it that can back off and let the solenoid coil slip out, check that. The pics may not be for a 97 but there close.

Buying a Ford PSD will give you plenty of experience, just hang in there and we'll help you learn. ;Sweet ;Really

Attachments

• engine%2520parts[1].jpg
    engine%2520parts[1].jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 12
  • PSD%2520Engine%2520Labels%25201[1].jpg
    PSD%2520Engine%2520Labels%25201[1].jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you hear buzzing they seem to be plugged in. I think the keep alive memory code could have been generated from the Idm switch out or possibly low system voltage. Good idea to check the 30 amp fuse as described above though.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the diagram I have of the PCM connector, there are only two wires that are to have power, and I have power of both of them. I have also checked all my fuses, and they are good. I have power on both sides of all the fuses. At the PCM connector, I also have all the ground I should except at pin 24 . This pin seems to go to the accelerator pedal, so I'm not sure if I should have full ground at that terminal or not.

I also ran a voltage test, per Identifix, and it showed that all the wires from the IDM to the injectors and back to the IDM are good. I also have good power and ground to the IDM.

I am leaning toward a bad PCM as the CHECK ENGINE light does not turn on when I turn the key on. But, can a bad PCM caused the codes 1293 and 1293, or did I also get a defective IDM?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KAM error is because the battery was disconnected or dead.

Pop the oil cap off and smell inside the valve cover.looking for burnt wiring smell.DO NOT go poking injector wiring with test lights as they carry 110-140 volts.if it truly did have a bad idm,almost gaurantee under valve cover harnesses are burnt.

Is it offering to fire at all?smoke from tailpipe?

Where do you live?one of us may be near you and able to help in person.

Does the tach move while cranking.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the help.

The tach does move when the engine is cranking. I'm not sure about the exhaust, as I've been by my self. I live in Omaha, NE, so if someone is near by, and can offer some assistance, that would be great. On a side note, I did order a Cardone PCM from Amazon, and it should be here either Tuesday or Wednesday. I figured it be worth a shot to see if the new PCM makes the CHECK ENGINE light come on when the key is turned on. I could not find a used one near Omaha, so that is why I ordered one from Amazon.

Just thinking here, but if an injector wire was broken or burnt through the valve cover, would I not see a significant drop in the voltage test I did? I would think I would see a drop in voltage, or no voltage being returned if something was burnt or broken. That is why at this point, I'm thinking the valve covers are OK, but I could be wrong.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think your pcm is bad nor has it ever been. I am leaning towards this truck having the IDM incorrectly installed. Was the IDM changed out because it didnt start or was there something else going on?

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the IDM because the person I bought it from said it was bad from water intrusion. He pried the cover off, and showed me where you could see the corrosion from the water.

The reason I am concerned about the PCM is because I keep getting a P0603 code, and the batteries are not disconnected. I clear the code, and it comes right back. Plus the CHECK ENGINE light does not come on when you turn the key in the RUN position, but if I ground the terminal at the PCM for the light it will come on, so I know the bulb is good.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant say wether your pcm is good or bad without the truck infront of me.i know of only one truck that had a pcm go bad.the kam error is caused by somehow losing the constant power with the key off.disconnected,dead batteries,blown fuse,broken wire.fuel heater can short out without blowing the underhood fuse while killing power to pcm.

The idm codes with the new idm tells me melted wiring.the psd will shut down a whole bank of cylinders to save the idm.your codes are telling me it shut down both banks.when testing the injector wiring youre looking for resistance not voltage.if wiring is burnt together you will get the voltage in and out.resistance will tell you if youre going through the injectors coils or shorted to ground or open.same with the glowplugs.

To cure all doubt in wiring simply unplug each of the four valve cover connectors and inspect them or pop the oil cap and sniff inside the cover..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Amazon sells IDM's? I sell them for less than they do. What a surprise. Can you tell us, the previous owner, he was telling you the IDM needed to be replaced because of corrosion, and you say he was taking it apart? Did he have it out of the truck already when you went to buy it, or did you watch him take the wheel well out and dismount it and do all that? Sounds weird to me. Why would someone say you need a new one "because of corrosion"? Wouldn't someone just say "I think this one is bad?"

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDM was out of the truck when I looked at it. The previous owner removed it because he was told be another "mechanic" to take it out of the truck and shake it, and listen for water sloshing. He said he heard the water moving around, so he took the cover off, and that's when he said he saw the water in it. When he showed it to me, you could see the bottom of the circuit board had corrosion on it.

The IDM I purchased from a company in FL called Automodule Source. As for the PCM, I got the part number from O'Reilly's, and searched Amazon, and they had one for 1/2 the cost. It's a reman from A1 Cardone, just like O'Reilly's.

Any ideas what typical resistance values I should see on the wiring to the injectors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online