Crank no start = Bad glow plugs

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to start the truck today and got nothing but smoke and no fire. After ruling out air in the lines, GP not getting power, and no power to the IP, I pulled #1 and @ PGs. Both tested bad, so I pulled the other 4 I could get to easy, all but one was open. They are only a few months old. I'm guessing my GP controller is bad and doesn't cycle off while driving. It has always short cycled and gone straight to the after firing cycle of on and off. I bypassed the controller and wired a switch to the dash for the relay.

Can the controller go bad and fry all the plugs in one drive? It fired up last night. Tomorrow I'll be putting in new OE plugs and hope that solves the issue. IIRC its hold the GP 10-15 sec for a cold start in 40F temps?

I was going to try using the block heater for a few hours to see if I could get her running off that, but when I plugged it in I heard a gurgling noise. I didn't use it, has anyone heard that before?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If using the 6.9 glowplug system, I believe that's too long. And it doesn't take much to fry a glowplug.
You could upgrade to the zd9 glowplugs since you're using a pushbutton.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZD9 would require changing out the harness ends. I don't think I have enough wire to do that easy. Are they that much better?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's the voltage difference.
Iirc, the 6.9 plugs were 5 volt, while the zd9 were 12 Volt.
Might be off on that.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a spare 7.3 GP harness you can have.
the connectors seemed pretty good when i pulled it.
went with a new harness with the new engine.

a 30 min drive is certainly cheaper :D

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the voltage difference.
Iirc, the 6.9 plugs were 5 volt, while the zd9 were 12 Volt.
Might be off on that.

Actually, both the ZD-1 and ZD-9 plugs are a 6 Volt plug. IH/Ford did this to allow for a quick heat-up of the plug so they would be more like a gasser for start times.... The 12 Volt plugs that GM Uses that some people switch to (6G I think) don't burn out as easily as the Ford plugs do.... but it takes quite a while for them to heat up..... like 30+ seconds......

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My block heaters kinda "gurgle" when first plugged in. So far I haven't burnt the truck yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The block heater will make a sound like a coffee maker as it heats. Be advised the early 6.9 blocks had issues with blocks cracking at the block heater hole. The later blocks were reinforced in that area. At your location you probably don't need the block heater and 10 seconds should do it. If it cranks and doesn't start, glow it a second time.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Actually, both the ZD-1 and ZD-9 plugs are a 6 Volt plug. IH/Ford did this to allow for a quick heat-up of the plug so they would be more like a gasser for start times.... The 12 Volt plugs that GM Uses that some people switch to (6G I think) don't burn out as easily as the Ford plugs do.... but it takes quite a while for them to heat up..... like 30+ seconds......
Ah, okay.
The gm ones are 60g. I ran those in my 6.2. Couldn't burn them out. Lol I usually did about 10-15 seconds. Would start faster than most di engines.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a spare 7.3 GP harness you can have.
the connectors seemed pretty good when i pulled it.
went with a new harness with the new engine.

a 30 min drive is certainly cheaper :D

Man I wish I saw this before I fixed it... Oh well. Today I put in 7 glow plugs and a new controller. After charging the batteries up it fired no problem. I burnt out the ones I hard wired. Must have not let them cool long enough between cycles. Tomorrow morning will be the proof that it's fixed. Got Ng up to the snow this weekend so it will be tested there too.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
ok, here's the easy 3-beer way to adapt a 6.9 controller harness to the zd-9s, I did it on my truck 5 years ago:

buy 2 5-packs of 5/16" male spade terminals at oreilly's (or wherever you prefer), blue connector crimp style
buy 2 5-packs of blue female crimp style bullet connectors
buy 8 new zd-9s and never sieze
now the next step is THE MOST important!!!
stop for a sixer on the way home
crack a beer, dig around in the shed for a good piece of 12ga wire
cut 10 1" long pieces of 12ga wire
strip 1/4" from each end of each piece of wire
crimp one style connector to each end of the wire (different each end)
wrap each tightly with electrical tape, first one direction then the other
adapters are made
crack another beer, grab your 1/4" ratchet, 3/8" deep 6pt, 2 3" extensions, and a swivel
truck's cooled off enough now, so go pull the old GPs
crack your third beer, put in new zd-9s with never sieze
use the adapters to hook up the zd-9s
finish the third beer and fire it up

I don't recommend a road test until the next morning :rotflmao

edit: noticed you have a turbo, this might be a full sixer fix LOLLOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online