cracked injector tips & melted pistons from BAD FUEL???

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was looking at the diesel power website because there is an article about the db2 injection pumps and how they work, and i just happened to scroll over to some pictures of people's trucks and their stories - and there was a yellow/blue CTD that the owner spent a major fortune on because the engine, trans and turbo all failed shortly after he bought it (used from a dealer) for various reasons. First, all six injector tips cracked and melted all six pistons so he had to have the engine rebuilt. And it said that "a bad batch of fuel" was the cause.

Can anyone explain just how this could be be possible? i find it hard to believe that #2 from a pump could be so bad that one fillup could cause this much damage - if so it would be happening all the time, right? Plus i have been dumpster diving my fuel for years now - and although i have gone through two injection pumps no other damage has happened that i am aware of. Maybe it was because the truck in the story had the common-rail injection system and they are a lot more sensitive than what we have. But i would still like to know more about this so i can try to prevent it.
Any opinions?
thanks,
Paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that it was either fed a consistent diet of bad fuel or that batch was not just bad diesel, maybe gasoline/water etc? Could have been other issues as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there any mention of EGT's being monitored? My guess is, he didn't have a gauge, or didn't look at it if he did. A stock engine running WMO or some other junk fuel could easily exceed the recommended temps.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I saw that article matter of fact that issue is in my bathroom....good readin material...don't have to concentrate as hard lol.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that article matter of fact that issue is in my bathroom....good readin material...don't have to concentrate as hard lol.

considering that a lot of those guys have over $100K dumped into those trucks - the bathroom is probably a good place to keep that mag!

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run both WMO and WVO and yup, I watch the egt gauge like a hawk. Even on a stock pump running empty I can hit 1100 easily.

do the egt's actually increase with wvo or just wmo? wmo has more btu's than diesel but wvo has less so i would not think it to be a problem with wvo. Plus i used to follow the wvo forums daily for a few years and i don't recall that topic coming up much at all - i would think if it was a real issue with wvo there would be lots of reports of engine damage. For that matter i would think the 6.2 in my step van would have taken a hit by now but so far no signs of damage the engine.
It would be interesting to hear how your btu's compare when running diesel, wmo and wvo if you care to do any tests.

Paul

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my egts seem to stay withing 200-300 degrees range difference from diesel to using 100% wmo. Usually I can hit around 1100 with pedal on the floor unloaded but thats about it. Doesn't seem to matter if its diesel or wmo. I do not see alot of power difference at 2000 rps and above but I seem like I have less power at lower rpms on wmo.

helgaairhead

Sparetimeconsulting
Reaction score
Volvo in Norway have had several cases which the motor just went down the drain, caused by exploding injectors.
Since this, in the end, is all about money, they claimed that issue to be caused by "Bad or crappy fuel" and recommended owners to use some additive sold by Volvo itself.
Still, they haven't solved whatever this problem are, even if they're customers are using they're additive.

This problem are related to Common rail fuel injected diesels. Problem mentioned is as far as I know not related to IDI / DI of type DB2 injected motors

Helge

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the volvo injection system you refer to is very similar to the common rail injection used in these newer Cummins engines.

helgaairhead

Sparetimeconsulting
Reaction score
They where referred to as " D3 , D4 and D6" series , but its only the D6 which have had exploding injectors. I think its because they are known to haul bigger and longer than the others. People also use "black boxes" tuning them up. I don't think this tuning up stuff is the problem here, more like there is an issue connected to common rail system itself.
Volvo clam's there is nothing wrong to the system, they just lean on crappy fuel and replace under warranty. This could be expensive due to Norwegian law. The customer have 5 years of warranty for items purchased from dealer. Regulations says item expected to last more than 5 years , have 5 years warranty as well. Besides normal wear like oil filters etc.
I have been working for the Volvo Penta half a decade , and l have to say that this issue seems to be one big scratch in the green painting.

Helge

Last edited:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
How many people running WMO are using an EGT gauge?

I do....But it is in my deuce and a half.50/50 mix Waste oil(ok,not sure exactly what but it is an oily substance from the back of the auto parts house) and 87 octane.EGTs are actually lower than straight diesel.I switched back over the other day and the truck run rougher,Smokes MUCH more,and the EGTs are 300 degrees higher.Before i couldn't get it over 1100degrees,Now 1400 is max...well max before I noticed and said OH CRAP.:eek: