couple questions. (fuel leak related)

needboost2live

Reaction score
I was trying to sort out a fuel leak and found a couple things. Looking at the fuel filter there is a hose tha comes out the bottom that was sloppy wet and looks like it has been running down the short piece of hose to the hard line... It looks like I need a new piece of fuel line cause where it connects to the elbow underneath the filter was hard/dry/cracking and not clamped. (first picture) Could this be the source of my leak/dripping that i noticed and posted about here http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33276

I also noticed there is something that looks like it should be plugged in (second picture)

While looking around... I found this (third picture) laying in the valley pan. Is this a seal that is supposed to be somewhere? Two months ago I had a belt shred and I did find pieces of that laying all over the top of the engine and I thought it might be a piece of that but it seems to be in a nice circular shape and when you unbend it... it returns to its circular shape. any clues on what it is and where it goes?

Last 3 pics are of areas where it is most damp/wet. The injectors/return lines don't really seam to be leaking. None of the injectors looked wet. I should add that last time I removed the air box I forgot to hook the EGR hose back into the intake for the first drive to the store so maybe that spilled some blowby or whatever into that area to make it appear wet? The wetness didn't really have much of a diesel smell.

At any rate, I dried everything off and wiped it up best I could and I will continute to watch or any new wet/damp spots.... thanks in advance

Attachments

• 0918091317.jpg
    0918091317.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 10
  • 0918091410.jpg
    0918091410.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 15
  • 0918091315.jpg
    0918091315.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 0918091316.jpg
    0918091316.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 0918091316a.jpg
    0918091316a.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 9
  • 0918091316b.jpg
    0918091316b.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 10

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
first picture:
That hose on the bottom is simply a hose for the filter drain. You turn the knob and water drains out.
I did away with the whole works and bought a filter with integral water drain, thus no 2peice to leak (like they always do).

That electrical connector in the second picture plugs into the bottom of the filter. that is for your 'water in fuel' light on the dash. Plug it back it, or not.... either way.
You can also buy the one peice filter that has a drain and a spot for that wire to plug into.

Good luck.
drew

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
first picture:
That hose on the bottom is simply a hose for the filter drain. You turn the knob and water drains out.
I did away with the whole works and bought a filter with integral water drain, thus no 2peice to leak (like they always do).

That electrical connector in the second picture plugs into the bottom of the filter. that is for your 'water in fuel' light on the dash. Plug it back it, or not.... either way.
You can also buy the one peice filter that has a drain and a spot for that wire to plug into.

Good luck.
drew

The one piece powerstroke filter is the way to go. It only has one top seal and you don't have to worry about it leaking from the bottom seal or the water accumulator sensor. Not to mention they cost less $$$ as well. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The hard line gaskets are called olives. They come in a 3 pack . The rear return line on the drivers side head has a brass fitting. In that there is an olive gasket. The fuel line from the filter to the pump has an olive in both ends of it. They do harden up and leak. The lift pump to the filter head does not have any gaskets. Its all compression fittings. It looks like the turbo hat is leaking where it sits on the intake manifold. Usually there is a large o-ring in there. My Banks turbo requires a gasket that fits the 4 barrel carb setups and is easy to find in most auto parts.