Couple of problems.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help me figure this stuff out.

truck 1994 turbo diesel

#1 Im not sure if my glow plug relay is coming on and I know the relay works. The "wait to start" light does not come on.

#2 The truck wont start with the key. It has an alarm, I have to jump across the solenoid to start it. Once its running it will start to warm up and then shut itself off. I think its one of two things the alarm or is there a oil pressure shut off? I dont have the oil pressure sending unit hooked up and I was wondering if the truck may shut itself off? I saw some sort of computer looking thing in the dash when I replaced my heater core.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any history with this truck? The WTS light can fail, and things can still work. This happens on my 93' occasionally. However, a volt meter will confirm if the relay is functioning correctly. Simply place a volt meter across the large terminals. You should see full battery voltage when the relay is off, and zero when it is on.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any history with this truck? The WTS light can fail, and things can still work. This happens on my 93' occasionally. However, a volt meter will confirm if the relay is functioning correctly. Simply place a volt meter across the large terminals. You should see full battery voltage when the relay is off, and zero when it is on.

Well everything used to work fine on it. It has sat for about 5-6 years now. I will try and test it this weekend.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Do you really need the alarm? Most of us like these trucks for the simplicity they bring. Adding complexities just goes against what these trucks have to offer. You should be able to hear the click of the relay and watch your volt gauge drop as the plugs heat up. When the relay drops out, you will hear a click again and the volt meter will rebound a bit. A 12 volt lead through a toggle switch to your fuel shut off solenoid will give you a temporary fix to see if the truck starts. If this works, look to replace the wait to start light and ditch the alarm as that may be working against you. Good luck, keep us posted.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really need the alarm? Most of us like these trucks for the simplicity they bring. Adding complexities just goes against what these trucks have to offer. You should be able to hear the click of the relay and watch your volt gauge drop as the plugs heat up. When the relay drops out, you will hear a click again and the volt meter will rebound a bit. A 12 volt lead through a toggle switch to your fuel shut off solenoid will give you a temporary fix to see if the truck starts. If this works, look to replace the wait to start light and ditch the alarm as that may be working against you. Good luck, keep us posted.

No I hate the alarm. Im trying to figure out how to rip it and all the BS that goes with it out. I just have not had time to dig around under the dash.

I can start the truck no problems but its fairly warm down here and I cant tell if the glow plugs are coming on or not.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You should have 6volts to the glow plugs. Pull a lead off of one and hook up a multi meter as a helper turns the key on. After that, use the resistance setting to see if there are any bad gp's. Good luck gutting the alarm, I feel your pain on that one. Heck, I leave the keys in my steed incase someone needs to get out of town quickly

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked a test light to each of the GP's to see if they worked...

And I know how you feel about the alarm, mine had one and it was a PITA!!!! I tried to cut it out before I even had the motor in the truck and when it came time to firststart it I had no power. There was one blue with a red striped wire that I accidently cut LOL

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing that blows my mind is at fisrt it wouldnt crank with the key. I put in a new starter solenoid and it started with the key only after i put a new battery in the alarm control key thingy. Then once while i left it running to break in the new engine it just shut off. When i tried to start it it wouldnt crank with the key. I know its that stupid alarm. It does all kinds of stuff like lock me out of the truck! I was so dang mad. Thank goodness i left the sliding glass on the back unlatched. Maybe the easter bunny will bring me some wire cutters.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the rodents have effed up your wiring harness over the years.... I hate to think how much this project is going to give you a pain in the A.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did is find a wiring diagram for the whole truck and followed wires. If the there was ever a split in a wire that went to the alarm box, "snip". For now I would run a toggle swith to your IP and then another from the positive post to the solenoid right by the battery. Tie it into the wire coming from the Starter.

This is how I started my truck for about a month when my key broke off in the ignition.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did is find a wiring diagram for the whole truck and followed wires. If the there was ever a split in a wire that went to the alarm box, "snip". For now I would run a toggle swith to your IP and then another from the positive post to the solenoid right by the battery. Tie it into the wire coming from the Starter.

This is how I started my truck for about a month when my key broke off in the ignition.

Yeah dad was saying to try just running a cable from the bat to the small term. on the solenoid and see if it wont crank with the key. I got sicker than a dog the past few days so I have been resting and on meds. Im hoping this weekend I will feel better and have time to mess with it. I dropped off my drive shaft so it wont be long and it may be able to move under its own power soon.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed it today the shut of is from the alarm. I hooked up power from the pump to the battery and it stayed running. As soon as I get my dana 60 under there Im going to try and rip out the alarm.