"Correct" amount of time for GP glow cycle?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only complaint about the 7.3 controller is that it requires everything to be in good shape. Since our trucks haven't been made in over 15 years, that's starting to ask a lot of the truck. Not to mention that Murphy says that you'll most likely loose a GP in the dead of winter. There for it is ALWAYS a good idea to have a manual push button wired in as a bypass. If I had a second vehicle, or even a shop or barn that I could pull the truck into when I needed to work on it, then it wouldn't be such a big deal, but climbing up under the hood when it's zero outside is no fun. Better to use the bypass until the weather gets a little warmer IMHO.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About them harness bullet connectors - I replaced two of those in my truck, I had the same concerns as Franklin2 about them not making good contact with the plug as theu heated up and expanded some, so I took the spring clips off the factory connectors and put them onto the new connectors, good as new. This requires drilling a 1/16" hole on each side of the bullet connector, as the spring clip has dimples that prevent it from falling off the connector and the factory connectors have holes for these dimples to click into.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yellow is for 10-12 awg wires, blue is for the next size down (14-16 awg), blue works good for these trucks. Yellow would require stripping the wire end at double-length and the folding it over before inserting into the connector - this is actually my preferred method of installing crimp connectors, as if done right the connector must fall apart for the wire to be able to pull out of it (I like overbuilding stuff, even my wiring), but the problem with the glowplugs harness is that some of the individual leads are a bit on the short side as is before you even cut the factory connectors off. My summer project will be a new glowplugs harness with 12-gauge wires of equal length with heavy-duty yellow connectors and double-fold crimp on them, plus the factory spring clips of course. Oh, and the Z-strip will be gone, for faster glow cycles...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online