Cooling Problem ...........

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run the engine with the radiator cap off and watch the coolant level, does it surge up or push out the radiator neck?

If you have bubbles, the coolant surges up or out with the cap off, you are getting combustion gas in the radiator from a head gasket leak [most likely]. Rapid heating of the coolant is common from head gasket leaks since hot combustion gases are being blown into the coolant.

With 200,000 miles, I would make bets you have a blown head gasket rather than a cooling system issue.

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run the engine with the radiator cap off and watch the coolant level, does it surge up or push out the radiator neck?

If you have bubbles, the coolant surges up or out with the cap off, you are getting combustion gas in the radiator from a head gasket leak [most likely]. Rapid heating of the coolant is common from head gasket leaks since hot combustion gases are being blown into the coolant.

With 200,000 miles, I would make bets you have a blown head gasket rather than a cooling system issue.
No bubbles i looked for that . Coolant does slowly rise out if i hit the throttle it sucks in.

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 16 miles Top Hose ,top of radiator Hot. Middle and Bottom cold Bottom hose Cold
You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound silly, but just trying to eliminate all possibilities. You did install the thermostat with the side that has the rubber ring around it to the bottom, right? I guess I am trying to say that the bigger side went down...

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound silly, but just trying to eliminate all possibilities. You did install the thermostat with the side that has the rubber ring around it to the bottom, right? I guess I am trying to say that the bigger side went down...
I installed like this Pic
You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good! One more thing to try....I wonder if you have all the air burped out of the block. Maybe go find a good uphill to park on. Let it run for a while with the cap off like that. See if any air burps out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When installing a thermostat always have the copper pill directed to the hot side of the coolant. In the pic that is the right way to install it. It looks like a genuine Motorcraft thermostat but the chinese sure make a good copy. Sadly the material is of poor quality and they break apart. Parking with the drivers tire higher may burp out some trapped air that may be in the heads.

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When installing a thermostat always have the copper pill directed to the hot side of the coolant. In the pic that is the right way to install it. It looks like a genuine Motorcraft thermostat but the chinese sure make a good copy. Sadly the material is of poor quality and they break apart. Parking with the drivers tire higher may burp out some trapped air that may be in the heads.
I ordered it from amazon came in ford Motorcraft box . I tested the one that came out and the new one both open and closed. I didnt drain the block plug do you think that my be part of problem ? How much fluid goes through oil cooler? thanks

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would try the new cap and make sure the coolant recovery / burp tank is hooked up. I had a truck that ran hot until I fixed the recovery bottle and no more issues.

My next thought would be like the other guys are saying a possible head gasket concern.

When I bought my last radiator hose the parts place and I looked in the book and it said the spring isn't needed. They are installed in the factory because of the way the factory adds the coolant. I believe they suck the coolant in under vacuum.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that top hose looks really goofy in the middle... is that an aftermarket radiator? Can you snap a couple more photos of the radiator itself?

Champion makes some for gasser F-series trucks too, not sure if they'd flow enough for a diesel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.