Coolant leak.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats how lots of members remove the fan if they have the tool and the air supply. I still prefer the 36 and 24 inch breaker bar on the fan nut wrenches. And always use some blue loctite on those threads. These idi engines have such a high compression ratio they stop suddenly when the ignition is turned off. That fan is heavy and if its not tight it will spin loose and run into the radiater ruining it. One member forgot to tighten it after a water pump job and when he noticed it he shut down the engine only to watch is unscrew and ruin the radiater....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh ya....I watched till the 5:40+ second mark to find out he uses a chisel LOL and ya it would work just not always...

There is an impact wrench set for this purpose and if you have the air and the air chisel tool, get the correct impact wrench set and your done!
http://youtu.be/JU_cpAoNvdA

No nicks no damage nadda ...not an issue with potentially creating a big crack in the nut with this tool.

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now thats a nice wrench Al. If I had air I sure would try that tool. Beating the hell out of the fan nut with a chiesel or punch is not my idea of a good job. But it works for some.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now thats a nice wrench Al. If I had air I sure would try that tool. Beating the hell out of the fan nut with a chiesel or punch is not my idea of a good job. But it works for some.

YES...YES it is and it's what I use for doing my clutch fans ;Poke and I got air...LOL I've not found one yet I cannot undo...yet! LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al.. Your the luckiest guy I know with all the tools you FIND that people are willing to give you for a song. You have the Midas touch my man...:thumbsup::hail

fhafer

Reaction score
Post #25 in this thread recommended the Lisle 43300...must have missed it when it was posted.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I got it off, and back on. Great tools if I ever have to do this again.

Got the water pump in and everything buttoned up. Ran around town to test everything.

At one point early on, when I'm pretty sure I was low on coolant, since I was still getting the air out, the engine went up to about 220 degrees, fan clutch kicked in and dropped the engine temp to 180.

Now I know my old fan clutch didn't work. I wondered, but now there isn't a question.

I put blue lock tite on just about every bolt I figured might rattle loose. Water pump and bolts were sealed with permatex ultra black. Like ultra grey, but the high heat version.

After I had everything buttoned up, I noticed coolant dripping from the crank area. I thought oh crap, what did I screw up? Turns out I just spilled a little coolant when I was filling everything up. No leaks besides that annoying oil leak from the oil cooler. But that's a project for a different day, as the leak is pretty slow.

I am happy to have my truck back though. Was down to one vehicle, and if it weren't for my wife and kids getting sick through this last week, I don't know how we would have done it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good to hear your up and running with no leaks or redo jobs. Seeing that coolant drip after this job makes the heart sink or skip a beat. Then finding out its ok is priceless...:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance