coolant leak..

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all, well today when i was doin some body work to make my truck a little better i noticed that something was dripping underneith my truck. so i crawled under it and it was antifreeze. i got to looking and noticed that it was in the valley pan under my intake, and looked like on the passenger side towards the firewall in the last gp slot there was some there too, and i was wondering if this could be the famous head problem or is it the intake? any help would be awesome. thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Could just be the intake manifold gasket. I assume that's a 6.9. I think on most of the 6.9 heads those little ports facing the intake manifold are open sealed by the valley pan/intake manifold gasket, on the 7.3 heads, they have 4 stainless freeze plugs in those holes

If you want to be able to easily see where it's coming from you can get UV dye for coolant similar to the stuff used in air conditioning systems for leak checking from Napa and snap on , takes 2 bottles for a system this large, and under ultra violet light the leak will glow bright yellow. Makes it very easy to trace the source.