Coolant filter

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked around and saw this plumbed both ways. Should it be inline or as a bypass? And if in line should it be before or after the heater core? Thanks

--Mike

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I do not think it really matters... running it as a bypass is just an extra safety in case it gets clogged. Before or after... no matter as long as the coolant goes through it, filters are not too picky.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is not run as a bypass, it will greatly restrict the flow to your heater core. At best, you won't get much heat in the winter. At worst, the restriction could cause increased pressure upstream and lead to issues.

Most if not all coolant filter heads are designed as bypass units.

Heath

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
coolant filters don't have enough flow to keep ya warm in the winter.... that is why they are in a bypass setting.

Smoky

Reaction score
bypass brother - works like a charm - it will catch the sand released from sand cast blocks - I cut my first filter in half & it contained approximately two tablespoons of sand - surprised the water pump is still pushing coolant...

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the coolant filter head from NAPA I can't seem to remember the number and I ordered the filter precharged with 4 units. I don't think that the filter head is a bypass or atleast it didn't say anything about it in the book at the store. But I think I will plumb it in as a bypass with valves at both ends. Do the valves have to be marine grade or will valves from the hardware store work?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yeah ive been wonderin the same thing about the valves. i know the rad is brass so if you use bronze fittings will that cause galvanic corrosion or only if they are touching? im thinking hardware store will do the trick. there is a tech article that shows how to do it.
http://www.oilburners.net/articles/coolfilter1.html
napa has ordered the part im thinking im gonna do it next week if i have spare time( aint much i can tell you that)
one more thing i think im gonna get some of those tapered dowels like they have for boats as an emergency leak plug so i dont have to drain my entire system to install the filter.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
oh i might change my heater core hoses too while i'm at it. might as well cuz 20 bucks says they are original. does napa sell them pre fab or can i buy a roll and custom fit it? either way im gonna have to cut them

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
water valves from the hardware will work just fine. I used ball valves when I did mine so that it would be easier to run.

Smoky

Reaction score
I plumbed mine off the water pump to the bypass head - from the bypass head to the coolant tank = no problem took less than 90 minutes. If the coolant filter were to clog up, acting as a bypass would still allow the water pump to do its job....

I used used a stainless valve with a brass ball - problem free for years...

I would re-examine whether to use a precharged filter. I have always heard to use a non charged filter i.e. Baldwin etc.

Anyone else want to express an opinion on the prechaged filters?

Thanks all...

Regards...

needboost2live

Reaction score
i've been wanting to do this but where is a good place to order a kit/filter head. I will vot on plumming in as a bypass and using a non charged filter.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Reason for using a pre-charged filter is so that you don't have to add DCA via the bottle, the filter will dispense the correct amount and keep the system fed with DCA as needed. No real other advantage other than you just spin on a filter and call it a day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online