Coolant filter question

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I read the tech article on the coolant filter and currently have one ordered from NAPA for tomorrow. The question I have is why should you install the filter as a bypass filter? The only reason I can think of is if the filter gets clogged up, the cooling system can work normally. Which is a good reason, but I was also wondering why the kit would come with 90*'s and not "T" fittings for this purpose?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coolant filters (as far as I know) are all designed to be bypass filters. They just don't flow the volume needed to filter the system directly. Don't worry, that sucker will surprise you the first time you replace it and cut it open.

Heath

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, by-pass only. That way it works when your heater is off. Go figure on the "L's" ... I went to the hardware store and got two 3/8" NPT "T"s" and four barbed fittings and a couple of close nipples to hook mine up. The Inlet on the Coolant Filter Header is the heater hose that runs from the Cylinder Head in front of the Dipstick to the heater core outside fitting and the outlet side of the header is from the inside heater core fitting to the vertical stub nipple on the top of the Water Pump. Which filter are you using?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you set it up as an in-line, you won't have any cab heat. The micron rating is too small, and the cartridge too small to flow the volume needed. It is a bypass unit due to comprimises in space, utility, and cost. Hooking it up in-line will gain you nothing, and cost you functionality.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Im going to run the filter with no additive, i think its the 4070 or something like that. Ok then, i will hook it up with T's in by-pass.

Hey cackler, im not too sure if i can picture what your saying completely. The pic in the tech article shows the hose going to the water pump going into the filter head topmost fitting, and then traveling to what looks to be the drivers side port for the heater. And the hose comming from the head connects to the front port of the filter head, and runs back to the passanger side port on the heater. Does this sound right? I cant tell which hoses are comming or going.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I have the same Napa kit installed, and when I first installed it I had it plumbed up full flow, and I had it connected backwards. I got the plumbing fixed and replaced the filter with a new on, and even backwards, the filter caught a surprising amount of junk.

Stock,coolant comes from the head, flows to the heater core, and then returns to the water pump. In this setup, it comes form the head, and goes to a tee where it can go to the filter, or the heater core. It then flows through either the filter or the heater core, returning to another tee, and then back to the water pump. Here's a few pics, if you need more pics or explanation of these ask away! Also, I can go inventory the extra piping that I purchased if you would like. I also recommend replacing all of your heater hose and installing anti-chafe guards...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly ! The flow is from the head to the passenger side, through the core then back to the pump. Spin on filters inlet from the outside and outlet from the center.

I remember it by thinking that since it removes things, it's one of those inverse memorization things. "In from the Out, and then Out from the In". The Heater Core just happens to work that way as well.

What SCA's are you using?

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Cackler, I'm just running the Motorcraft SCAs and the non-precharged napa filter. Haven't checked the SCA level lately, but I'm not as concerned with it because it's a 6.9.

I have also heard that the coolant filters remove the additive if they aren't the precharged type, but I'm not sure if that is true or false... Anybody have in facts to back it up?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NCHEEK - That's good you got the right filter at NAPA. They are right on the ball for you. I don't believe thae Motorcraft SCA's ( DCA-4 Type ) are compatible with NAPA's SCA's.
As far as a filter removing SCA's ..Hmmmmmm. I've not heard that. Of course the Night's Still Young as they say..
I would have to see some Data on that to understand how a filter can remove salt from water. If so maybe all the Arid Third World Countries will be snapping up these Coolant Filters to desalinate sea water for drinking, ya think?
And 7.3's aren't the only engines that cavitate.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Thats a good setup heath, i wish i had an IH dealer near me. I didnt know about different types of sca's not blending with each other, so this is very lucky on my part because i've only used napakool, and not the motorcraft one. This will be going in soon, i need to make the bracket today and paint it first, then ill install probably this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim

Members online