constant power

1994IDI

Reaction score
I'm still posting from my phone, forgive the grammer and short post.

I bought a 97 f250 that has had a first gen cummins put in. It is getting power all the time. I can roll the power windows up and down and turn the radio on with the key out of the ignition. I am still in training down here in MS right nowbut do have a few basic tools in my toolbox. I want to get this fixed today because it is draining the batteries. Anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this. Thanks.
Jared

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Bad wiring skills? LOL

But seriously, Maybe the ignition tumbler is stuck in the ACC position allowing all the accessories to still be powered up.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Pull the lower instrument panel cover and you'll see a big plug on a tan/off white switch. Its a torx bit to remove the switch from the column but

Yellow is constant 12V from the fused battery source
Grey/Yellow is your accessory feeds.
Red/lt green is ignition
Red/blue is starter trigger.

Undo the connector (10mm i think) and pull plug from switch and see if all your power stops. take a multimeter and check continuity on the swtich pins with the ignition off and see if you have a bad switch or if something is miswired. see if you can isolate it to the switch.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Exactly! Sorry about that man, I forgot I posted here or I would have posted back.

I can't see a wiring screw up as this is the only way the truck can get power to the accessories unless someone has wired it up half assed from before.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Exactly! Sorry about that man, I forgot I posted here or I would have posted back.

I can't see a wiring screw up as this is the only way the truck can get power to the accessories unless someone has wired it up half assed from before.

you never know with a motor swap or used truck period what the previous owner(s) did.

Lets see if its the switch or a wiring issue. What i told him to do should be fairly quick and easy to determine.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many, myself included, intentionally hard-wire any power-windows (if one is un-fortunate enough to have them) and the radio to constant HOT power.

Thus, one can use the windows and radio without leaving the key in the truck; both convenient and much safer.

I would bet the previous owner did likewise and your power bleed is something else. ;Really

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
This is also true. It could be a short out through the alternator, starter or pretty much anything else. We should be able to narrow it down fairly wasily though.

Start with that key switch on the colum that crazyasian mentioned and we will go from there.

One step at a time but we will narrow it down!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
what transmission does it have? If electronically controlled (E4OD) it maybe the relay that powers the PCM. I have had this once. How I found it was tracing the wires that had current flow to them to a relay on the drivers side fender that was welded shut (contacts had burnt spots on them).

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
welp then toss out what i said.... do you know some one with a amp clamp that does dc amps? that is the fastest way to find which wire is still pullind current.

too bad you weren't closer... but if you need I have a meter you can borrow if you know how to use it... but being in the military make friends with one of the motor pool guys or electronic guys and have them grab their meter....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
welp then toss out what i said.... do you know some one with a amp clamp that does dc amps? that is the fastest way to find which wire is still pullind current.

too bad you weren't closer... but if you need I have a meter you can borrow if you know how to use it... but being in the military make friends with one of the motor pool guys or electronic guys and have them grab their meter....

1994IDI

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I will start with the switch. I am very nil on experience with electrical and I don't have the tools I need. I will get to the parts store as soon as I can, probably saturday, and will work on that switch. Would anyone be willing to get on the phone and talk me through it? Thanks again for all the advice. I need to get on it as soon as possible, so hopefully saturday.