complete 6.2 minus pistons, was running, good crank!

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
OK, so I scrap out vehicles and any thing that is of value since I can't get a job in this country, oh yeah, we sent them all overseas, DOOOOH!

ANYWAY, I picked up a 6.2 out of a military Hummer that was in running condition from when the military swapped to the turbo 6.5 or something like that. This was a good running engine but the guy let it sit outside and it got water in the cylinders and siezed them to the block. He took it apart and now the engine is disassembeled and the pistons are missing, the walls of the block are rusty and the heads are kinda rusty too but they are loosely on the block and I have not pulled them off yet to get a good look. The crank is still good with only surface rust begining to creep onto thte journals from being in the weather at my place, could still be polished and used if needed in a pinch. I'm sure the block could be bored as well, but I am not a diesel expert engine guy, yet.

My question is, does this thing have any value to it or should I continue on with it as scrap and dump it later this week when I take a load of metal to the scales?

Last edited:

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I have several small items for this as well, I don't know what they are but two are round saucers with some flare fittings on them(LP's?, look expensive!) and some other stuff. I'll get some pics of the stuff and try to get those heads off and snap some of them too.

Still looking for TEO6H rebuild parts or kits, anyone know?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scrap it all out.
ever since the first sandbox experience, the quality of surplus 6.2's have went to ****. since yours is no better than a rebuild-able core, it's worth scrap price. the only person who would be interested in your block wold be a guy who broke off a starter ear or tore out the bolts on the starter.

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
Ironman,
actually, I think it might, I'll look again today and post this evening, need it?

Towcat,
I kinda figured it was scrap but I wanted to make sure. I know which gas engine to hang onto but I hardly ever come across deisels. The only other one I ever got a hold of was a big aluminum V8 and painted solid white, brought lots of money, wish I could find a trailer load of those heavy b@$****$ !!!!!

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
IRONMAN,

I DO have the flywheel, or flexplate rather from this 6.2. I checked the teeth and found none missing and non are worn on the starter gear contact edge either, aside from the rust, this looks really good.

If you need it, let me know. I can put this in a flat box and it should not be more than $25 to ship it unless your in Canada, I WILL NOT ship to Canada, did it ONCE, never again. I'd rather smuggle guns into Mexico than ship something to Cananda again! Nothing against Canadians, but your postal service SUCKS as well as the import ******** you have to step around! OK, I feel better now.

Apparently, I have reached my limit on pics so I'll post it to my website and provide a link here shortly as soon as I get the HTML book out and brush up on some web lingo.

OK, here is the link;
http://cshankdesign.com/MiscItems/100_0781.JPG
Don't laugh at the rest of the site, it is an unfinished and almost forgotten project, I started while layed up a few years ago with injuries.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I'm half tempted to get the block from you because one of my starter bolt holes is completely stripped out. Depends on if we could end up working something out...

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
I'm half tempted to get the block from you because one of my starter bolt holes is completely stripped out. Depends on if we could end up working something out...

If you want to come and get it, I figured $50-60 is what it would bring at current scrap prices if this thing weighs the 450-500lbs I am guessing, that's for everything. I'm in Memphis, TN but I travel to Warm Springs, AR and Hardy, AR quite often and can bring it that far, I'll have to have some gas money for any further or different direction. My truck is not friendly on the gas, 1993 F-350 CC LB SRW 4x4 7.5/E4OD.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If you want to come and get it, I figured $50-60 is what it would bring at current scrap prices if this thing weighs the 450-500lbs I am guessing, that's for everything. I'm in Memphis, TN but I travel to Warm Springs, AR and Hardy, AR quite often and can bring it that far, I'll have to have some gas money for any further or different direction. My truck is not friendly on the gas, 1993 F-350 CC LB SRW 4x4 7.5/E4OD.

We might be able to work something out then. I'll be traveling up to Ohio the second week of September, so if we can work out a way for me to get it on my way up there or back, that should work. Let me know.

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
We might be able to work something out then. I'll be traveling up to Ohio the second week of September, so if we can work out a way for me to get it on my way up there or back, that should work. Let me know.

Yeah man, its been getting wet though, the longblock and heads more so than the small stuff. I'll have to sort through the aluminum pile for some pieces I threw on it.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Yeah man, its been getting wet though, the longblock and heads more so than the small stuff. I'll have to sort through the aluminum pile for some pieces I threw on it.

I'm not too terribly worried about that. I can hit it with my honing machine and work out some small imperfections. I just need a block with good starter mounting holes. I'll piece most of the rest of it together with my current (still running) engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance