cold advance solenoid stuck on

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, dont think my last attempt of making a thread went through.

Few weeks ago my cold idle advance came on when i turned the truck on first time, then wouldnt go off (doesnt take more than 7 mins even in the winter). I just unplugged it, but would like to fix the problem before winter starts (sooner than we would like to think!).

Is it just an issue of the solenoid being old and getting stuck?
my stock water temp sending unit/gauge is messed. when idling or crawling in 1st gear in traffic, the gauge would sometimes jump from normal to pegged fully hot, almost instantly. It would stay pegged untill it cooled off for 5+ hours. Upper rad hose temps never exceeded 220.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sensor on the pass side could be stuck ON, it's NC and opens at 120*, which should shut off the Hi idle and cold advance. It's right next to the #1 GP.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    248.4 KB · Views: 106

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor on the pass side could be stuck ON, it's NC and opens at 120*, which should shut off the Hi idle and cold advance. It's right next to the #1 GP.

x2 ^^^^^ If unplugging it shut it off then it is the sensor. It's a fun one to get too :rolleyes:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the dash gauge peggs hot. And then drops down thats the over temp sender switch located in the front of the drivers side head. What that switch does is closes at 242 degrees instantly ******* the dash gauge way past the hot or the "L" on normal. Want to test this fact do this. Remove the wire from that large sender and ground it. The dash gauge will peg no matter what temp the coolant is. Also the dash lits "check engine" will lite up. Sad to say this but that sender is around $65.00. Not cheap.. Unless you "find one" in a wrecking yard. Kinda wonder if ford used these senders in any of the other big mers or linclons..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
excellent info gents, thanks
mechanical water temp gauge for $20 will work much better than a new sensor anyhow i think.

Last edited:

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to where I can purchase the temp sensor for the high idle? I need one and haven't been able to find a place to get one. Thanks

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to where I can purchase the temp sensor for the high idle? I need one and haven't been able to find a place to get one. Thanks

Ford only -cuss Well, International too but close to $120 from them :eek:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ damn...hope my local (120 km away...) yard still has the one and only idi left in the yard! will scavange it for solenoids and sensors!

Shagy

Reaction score
Hey so I have a 1987 6.9idi and my cold start solenoid is smoking when I turn the key on and try to start any suggestions on why

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unplug it for now but you need a new advance solenoid if that’s really what’s smoking.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Out of all of these that I've seen, I've never seen one bad. I'm sure that they do go bad as in Shagy's case, but I haven't seen it. The GM 6.2/6.5, on the other hand, these don't seem to last as long. It seems like about 1 out of every 3 that came in had this solenoid not working. I haven't seen one of them smoke either. They just wouldn't work. This is a new one on me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online