Cold 6.0 runs horrible

4xMike

vehicle abuser
Reaction score
Well 8 new injectors later and the truck runs great. not cheap, but satisfying results. Now I just need to come up with some funds to do some preventative measures. I have been doing a little research on the failures related to the 6.0 and found concerns with the EGR cooler setup and the oil cooler setup at the filter mount. Once I get those issues taken care of I will be good. Until those are handled I will be installing a monitoring system that allows me to plug my computer in to the truck and monitor all the critical temps.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little late to this thread but felt I would throw another opinion out there.

Mike I am glad to hear you got the cold operation problems resolved.

You stated that you have been using Rotella oil. I don't have any concrete evidence here but it seems that everytime a meet someone (in daily life not internet) with a problematic 6.0 it is injector issues. To the man they have been using Rotella (dino) oil. I don't believe Rotella J spec oil is up to the task of properly working in the 6.0 injection system. I have been running Synthetic Rotella without issue however. I am currently at 114k and I do not have any cold operating issues. I change it every 5k but have been caught on the road a couple times and run over by as much as 2k. So far no problems.

Fuel filters at 10k. I went over by about 500 -1000miles a couple times and got the water in fuel message each time. Lesson learned there. Get the filters from International. They are less than half what Ford charges. In fact they are as cheap as I have seen anywhere but they are the true Racor filter not an imitation.
My .02.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank DirtLeg,

I agree with the Rotella Dino observation. I switched over to the Motorcraft Powerstroke oil in the 5 quart jugs 2 or 3 changes ago. I am not sure what it used before I got it, (probally MC since I think it got all its service at the dealer) but on the 1ft change that I got it, I when to "the best diesel oil" Rotella, this was in the fall and I had to take the truck in an get the Induction Heating flash done. Later, still on Rotella, I got an ICP CEL. Talked to a reputable dealer that does alot with the 6.0 and said I could drive with that light on until I could get it in the shop. I drove it for a bit with the CEL on, and got to my next oil change. This is when I changed to the MC oil, I had read good things about it in the 6.0 and it was the same price for 5 quarts as 4 quarts of Rotella was. Not long after the oil change/switch to Motorcraft oil the CEL cleared. I have always run MC fuel and oil filters in it, and now have MC oil in it. This is how I plan on continuing. The MC oil seems to be a good oil, I just changed the oil in my 98 Sable Wagon (Bought in late Feb) and this was my 1st change with it. I put a Motorcraft oil filter and the Motorcraft 5w-30 Synth Blend in it, and it seems really happy about it. It seems to run better, and the engine is quieter..... so I say Motorcraft all the way!!!!!

4xMike

vehicle abuser
Reaction score
Thanks for the oil info. I am about to do an oil change, so I will look into the MC or synthtic Rotella. I have always been an advocate of using MC filters since I bought the truck new. I used corner parts store filters and parts on other vehicles I have owned and once an oil filter, I can't recall the brand but it wasn't a cheap one, was suspect in causing a severe engine problem. Since then it has been factory parts for me.

It sucks because the cost isn't cheap but I won't buy alternators, starters, brakes, or any other hard part for my vehicles from the autoparts stores. I slid a little recently to save a buck and put auto parts store brake pads on my Honda. From day one they squeal. Never agian, I can't believe I let myself do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online