Coil springs in a 4x4

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's keeping the axle located? I don't see any radius arms, maybe I'm missing them in the pics.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
I'd guess it was a conversion from 2wd to 4wd. I personally like the idea of coil springs, and have wondered about using a combination of bronco parts and f250 bits for a coil sprung f250 ttb, but Mel's trials with the 8 lug knuckles put me off the hunt.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not real sure whats keeping the axle in place, he did not take good enough pictures. But it does look like it was 2wd drive before and he added the D60.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like a 3/4 ton Dana 44 from a Chevy. That's a parts axle for an 8 lug Bronco conversion. LOL

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It very well could be Mel. I just know looking at it, the pumpkin looks pretty big compaired to any D44 i have seen. But if thats what people use for conversions on broncos then thats probably what it is.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you look at the 4th pic(passenger side from behind) you can see what appears to be a torsion bar, so i would have to agree with the chevy assesment

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radius arms with a single panhard bar to keep it centered. The "axle" end of the arm is fastened tight to the axle to eliminate twist. IIRC 60's broncos same are the way. That's what it looks like he used to do the swap.

Here's a big pic.
You must be registered for see images

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a Chevy axle, diff's on the wrong side and it's high pinion. Big 10-4 on the radius arms. I think he took a 44 and suspension from a late 70s F150 and put 8 lug outers on it, possibly from a Jeep J20 or similar. Notice it has external style hubs, all of the Ford stuff is internal hub. That hub set-up looks just like the J-20 axle i have in my Wrangler. It's in Florida, so it's no surprise it's big and janky.
Travis..

EDIT; click on the bar to make the pic full size and you can see the radius arm set-up. You can see the blue smoke coming from the tailpipe too :)

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Hey as long as we are all guessing where all those parts came from on that truck shaped pile...any one on the speedo cluster:dunno
You must be registered for see images

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed on one of the interior pics the radio bezel says "CUSTOM" no truer word spoken. That thing is something else. I do like the cluser though......